• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Camber Fix

jchris36

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys, I know that this is a popular topic, "I just lifted my truck, now how do I fix the alignment?" but I promise that I did read quite a few threads without solution before I posted this.
So yeah, my truck is a 1986 Ranger 2wd. I put in this front leveling kit, from "Summit Engineering", trying to go the cheap route. I put in 3" blocks in the back a few weeks ago.

Here's a link to pictures, the site won't let me upload.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/sx20x3jat6lj5mz/RSGtbba5Zm

Here's the lift I just put in.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RANGER-1983-1996-2WD-2-LEVELING-LIFT-KIT-2WD-FB2-/111000612529?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Ford|Model:Ranger&hash=item19d826eeb1&vxp=mtr

And not surprisingly, my camber is now way off.
I took it to Les Schwab, and the guy was not helpful in the least, saying he didn't have the bushings, didn't offer to order them, wouldn't really say anything about what he thought I should do, other than mentioning that drop brackets may be a good idea. He also refused to speculate on the remaining life of my tires as they are now.

I have read about camber bushings that adjust from 2 - 4 degrees apparently from NAPA? I'm going to look into these but I'm not sure whether that modification would be over my head, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I also looked for drop brackets online, but couldn't find any apart from an entire lift kit from Summit Racing, which I definitely don't have the money for.

All of this to say, if you have any ideas on what I should do, please help! I'm desperate for a solution, I don't wanna destroy my tires, this is my DD, and I really don't wanna have to bum rides off of my sister and her saturn.

Thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you were able to install a lift kit on your own then the camber bushings should be a cake walk.

All there is to installing them is remove the pinch bolt by the upper ball joints, knock the factory slug out, and pound the adjustable one in.

Then take it to a competent alignment shop (that means NOT Les Schwab, people say the dealership is a rip off, those guys are jackasses), and have it aligned.

jchris36

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
So I tried several times to get the camber bushings out, just to try and rotate them and see if that helped at all. I couldn't get them out. I took the truck to a different alignment shop that claimed they could do it, but then this afternoon they called and said that none of their suppliers had bushings with enough camber adjustment to fix the problem. Their readout from the machine says that my camber is off by 4.3 degrees on both sides, and there aren't any bushings even close to that anywhere online that I can find. I'm planning on taking the coil spacers out tonight, which should be at least a 2 hour process, and basically admitting defeat. But before I do that does anyone have any ideas that I could try? I located a guy near me with 4" drop brackets for only around $60, but that's more than I was planning to lift it. I'm pretty frustrated, any ideas would be appreciated.

john93rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got mine from rock auto

jchris36

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The most Napa lists for a 86 Ranger (and it may have been 4wd) is this:

3.25* Bushing

I wonder if the 4* Moog part for a D35 could be made to work? Or I suppose something could be custom made for your 4.3*. It doesn't look too complicated.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not likely that the D35 bushing would fit or be made to safely

With that much camber needed you will probably have to get drop brackets.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals