• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 from Central Florida

RideFord94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I've been reading for a while, but fairly recently joined. Im from Apopka, Florida and am seeking to become an entry level tech. I have a really nice 98 Ranger with a 97 windstar 3.0L v6
fully ported/gasket matched with
cai.
Cat delete w/ flowmaster 40

audio system and blacked out tint.
W/Rubberized floors

..... a failing transmission, in bad need of a tune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
How much did the porting help the little 3.0?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Cat delete w/ flowmaster 40
Why do people keep posting about their cat deletes like they are proud of committing a federal crime?

RideFord94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why do people keep posting about their cat deletes like they are proud of committing a federal crime?
It doesnt necessarily apply in Florida, adsm08. I've had cops say it sounds badass lol. No emissions testing. Proud of the sound not the crime. Plus it was bad anyway. Whats the problem?

RideFord94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It pushes you a little harder in the seat when you hit the powerband. It pulls the slightest bit harder at throttle tip in. Then there will be times I can burn the tires. Like I said it needs a tune. And shes lean on bank 2 so im sure that has a part to play (vacuum leak) it floats around pretty easy compared to the 190k motor.

Last edited:

RideFord94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It pushes you a little harder in the sit when you hit the powerband. It pulls the slightest bit harder at tip in. Then there will be times I can burn the tires. Like I said it needs a tune. And im lean on bank 2 so im sure that has a part to play (vacuum leak)

Meant to reply to james.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It doesnt necessarily apply in Florida, adsm08. I've had cops say it sounds badass lol. No emissions testing. Proud of the sound not the crime. Plus it was bad anyway. Whats the problem?

It's a Federal law, so it does apply in Florida. It applies everywhere in the US and Canada (Federal law in Canada too). Federal motor vehicle regulations state that any vehicle operated on public roadways and built for the 1975 model year and newer must have a catalytic converter installed. Removal can result in up to a $5000 fine per missing catalyst, so for your truck, $15000 if you get busted. Just because you don't have an emissions or inspection program in your area does not mean it is legal.

It's still illegal to speed, even if there isn't a cop sitting along that stretch of road. Same principle.

Also, the cats remove the most toxic byproducts of engine combustion and turn them into things that are environmentally harmless. Then you removed it when it failed, instead of repairing the problem. That is the problem.

Last edited:

RideFord94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's still illegal to speed, even if there isn't a cop sitting along that stretch of road. Same principle.
Itend to speed as well. Would you like to complain and then lecture me about why speeding is bad?

I appreciate the welcome man. I was planning on putting a high flow back in in the future. But yea. Preciate it.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Sidenote, when did they start slapping more cats on Rangers? I haven't crawled under anything newer than a 2000 and mine only has 2. That said, I can scratch the tires fine, but I'm told the 4.10s have more to do with that than anything. I'm guessing mine haven't clogged because I'm anal about maintenance/tune ups and only run E85.

I've considered the port and polish idea idea like you and others have seemed to do (while working on a second engine) but mine just runs so well, and I don't wanna fix what ain't broken.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
James86 said:
Sidenote, when did they start slapping more cats on Rangers?
I believe each down tube has a "pre-cat" and then the main cat. That's three, for a V6. If your truck has a 4 banger, you may just have two.

To the O.P.; I think adsm08's point was that your speeding doesn't really affect those of us that are not in Florida (and even if we were there, it's low probability that it would). However, without cats, your truck pollutes the air we all breathe. He takes issue with that, as do I. However, there's mot much we can do except to ask you to put your truck back in compliance with Federal law, and, perhaps, have a little respect for your fellow man.

Does it sound bad-a$$? I'll bet it does (and I've had plenty of cars with pretty much open exhausts and/or Cherry Bomb mufflers). However, as you already mentioned, a hi-flo cat won't do much to the sound and will get you back to legal. That seems like a pretty cheap solution versus a $15K fine. Just my $0.02.

RideFord94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Id would definitely port and polish and it if you have it apart. Definitely not worth the time effort and energy unless you want to make it a weekend head swap. I was swapping in the engine and made it a project to save my truck and I always wanted more power. Its no beast but i can burn accords no prob.

As for my cats I have 2. There are two catalyzers in one assembly on my truck. The y pipe has no cats or precats. But I didnt want to push the issue. And yea. I need more backpressure for down low. I have plenty of top end. So as I said the magnaflow was already in the plans. Ita fairly affordable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals