• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Venting about defective radiator cap

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Ok Campers.

About a couple of years ago the Bronco II I drive needed a replacement radiator. So I replaced the radiator and cap at the same time..along with hoses etc...

Now I'm not trashing any brands or such, as every parts maker will have a dud slip past. But I've been chasing down coolant leaks for the last year or so--and finally found the root cause of EVERY leak!! And it boils down to forgetting a rule that I should know better with. Check ALL parts, regardless of how new they may appear.

Just to recap things...The heater hoses and upper radiator hoses have always had a seeping issue with coolant. It doesn't present itself at all while driving--or under a normal pressure test (13 lbs rated cap) So I just said heck with it and kept an eye on it. Recently it's become a 'quest'. So I tore into it and replaced the thermostat with the factory one, cleaned EVERYTHING and resealed the hoses/replaced hoses. It was about as bullet proof as I could make it to stop the leaks.

Yesterday on the way home? I stop in to get some soup at the local diner. I come out and I've got coolant doing a nice waterfall out of my radiator fins. So because I've gotta get home? I start the engine and the temp gauge is nicely in the lower range--and the leak stops?

Fast forward to this morning. NO sign of any leaks under the truck at all. I pull the cap off the radiator and said to the wife--I'm going to check this out just to see what's up, this is the only part I've not double checked. The clerk at the parts house didn't even know how to test a cap using their stuff. So I tested it.

A 13# cap should start venting at just over 13# right?

Nothing until the cap hit 20 POUNDS!??! No wonder this ol' girl was seeping coolant out of every connection it had. Driving around? Coolant does it's thing and circulates....Stop the engine for a while? No flow...pressures increase.... The cap is supposed to vent out to the overflow jugger...and then draw it back in as the system cools and it draws a vacuum effect.

So when the system can't vent until 20lbs? Plenty of back pressure!!

Long story short, the radiator is pretty well blown. And it's my fault for not checking a very basic $8 dollar part due to thinking it's to new to fail.

The auto parts house gave me the contact number for the radiator maker, it's a life time warranty. They said to give them a shout and 'not' mention about the defective cap--they might warranty it just as customer service.

I'm not worries one way or the other. I'm just "Steamed" that a very well known maker? Tripped me up and caused a lot of tail chasing.

There ends the rant...Thanks for reading.

S-

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Now that was a good read...a bit of mystery, a journey of sorts searching for answers, a love element...and a happy ending...sort of...

I've never had a rad cap fail in all my years of driving, but now I know what to expect if one does.

:icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So you are venting about venting?

rangerjunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
That's quite a flow of words and I didn't even feel pressured while reading it as I was cooled off in the end!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Good ones! And yes...Venting about Venting and feeling a bit 'capped off'.

(sorry, all the good ones are taken now LOL)

I've already got a line on a replacement rad from an eBay company I've used in the past. I figured I would give the parts house a shot, as their counterpart in the area does a national database for warranty items. (just in case their receipts are not readable)

First time in a longggggggggggg time I've ever had a radiator cap itself fail. (actually it's the first time ever that I have had one fail. I normally replace the cap as a maintenance item when I first purchase any used car/truck)

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals