• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pats question

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
So I swapped my 99 3.0 for a 98 4.0. The new PCM is a 98. Anyways my old key still works but the theft light flashes for about the first 5 minutes of driving then goes away. I figured a steel key would work now, but when I tried it nothing would happen, no crank or anything. I used my 3.0s wire harness, because the 4.0s harness did the same thing when I tried cranking it (with my chipped key). Did using my 3.0s harness bypass the need to go to ford? Can I save everyone $200 with that trick or did I just get lucky?

Crossthreader

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
When the PATS module recognizes a valid chipped key, it does two things. First it completes the circuit to the starter, then it grants permission to the PCM to allow the engine to run.

I suspect your 98 doesn't have PATS, so the PCM doesn't need permission to operate the engine. If you don't want to use the chipped key, just bypass the starter wiring to the PATS module.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Living in a larger city, if I had the chipped key I think I'd stick with it.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Oh yeah no I like having the chip, I was just kinda curious why after my engine swap I didn't have to go to the ford dealer to start the truck. So if I'm correct the pats module itself grants permission to crank the starter. Then the PCM grants permission to the fuel pump. Since the 98 never had pats it's not looking for a chip to grant permission to the fuel pump, but the module is making sure the starter won't crank.

So theoretically I could compression start my truck with the steel key right?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
More or less. IIRC the PCM disables the injectors, not the pump, but yes, you could pop start the engine with a non-PATS key if the need arose.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals