• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford Bronco Build

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Last night I removed the steering box from the truck, and separated the pitman arm from the box. It was 1000x easier to separate the arm with the box out of the truck. I'm going to order new power steering lines and a new box today.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Ok got some new pics. My transmission lines still aren't done, because every time I order the fittings I need, the warehouse keeps sending me the wrong ones. The last time they sent one correct fitting, and one wrong fitting. They're supposed to be identical. :annoyed: I haven't been able to even start the engine in about two weeks because of this. Anyway, here's what I did.

Transmission lines cut and flared right below the engine:

Hose barb installed in lower port on radiator:

Hose barb installed on upper port on radiator:

I installed the one correct fitting on the end of the transmission line and already connected a hose from it to the upper radiator port. I just need another fitting for the lower line.

And a drain plug for the front diff:

That's all for now. I didn't have time to work on it this weekend; I was busy fixing the A/C on the Ranger and installing new struts on the Accord.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I finally got the transmission lines done. I started the engine for the first time in weeks to check for leaks and all is good. I diagnosed a bad idler pulley, so I got a new one. Also ordered a new serpentine belt since the old one is very cracked and worn. I cleaned up the front engine crossmember to prep it for paint. Will hopefully paint it this week so I can install the new steering box.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Got crossmember painted, and installed the new steering box this weekend. Also installed the new power steering lines.

If you go back to the first post in this thread, you'll see I had 7 things on my to-do list that were my top priorities to get this thing drivable. I got 6 out of 7 of those completed, and am working on the 7th . Getting close! I can't wait to drive this truck to work.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I took the "coffee can" vacuum reservoir out to hit it with a coat of paint, but discovered this on the bottom side:

Junk. I discovered that 99-07 Super Duty trucks use a reservoir that's a direct bolt-in replacement, and they're plastic so it won't rust out. I ordered one off eBay. I did repaint the battery tray though. I'm also gathering the last of the parts I need for the front suspension rebuild. I'm taking the whole last week of May off work and getting it done then.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
By the way, in case you were wondering which Chinese tires are on it, there's a Milestar SL309:

And a Radar RXS-8:

I think the Milestar might be easier to sell, so I might keep the Radar as the spare. Although I think an easier way might be to just list them both on Craigslist and see which sells first.
I just sold the Radar tire on Craigslist yesterday. Looks like I'm keeping the Milestar as the spare. The tire was mounted on a rim, but the guy wanted only the tire. So I took it to a shop and had the tire dismounted, and I sold just the tire. I got $60 for it. :icon_thumby: Now I just need to sell my remaining three rims (2 of which have bald tires still mounted on them) and 4 center caps. Suspension rebuild coming next week...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just read the whole thread. Good job so far!

Richard

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! I know this isn't the most glamorous build thread on here, but it's nice to know someone is following it.

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You live every day, you only die once...
Nice looking Bronco. LMC and possibly RockAuto should sell your rear quarter panels to fix the rust.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I could've sworn I had posted pics of my fixed transmission lines, but I guess not. Here are some:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I sold another one of my old rims on Craigslist last week. And like I said before, I took this whole week off work to do the front suspension rebuild. I've been working hard on it all week and I'm almost done. Stay tuned for more pics...

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So just to give a summary of what I did on my week off and how the rebuild is going:

I started on the passenger side. I removed the brake, spindle, and steering knuckle.

I separated the hub from the rotor, cleaned the hub, installed new bearing races in it, painted it, and installed it onto a new rotor with new wheel studs (The wheel studs are what hold the rotor and hub together),

I installed a new spindle bearing and seal on the spindle, and painted the flange.

I cleaned and painted the steering knuckle, installed new upper and lower ball joints, installed a new ABS sensor, and a new brake dust shield.

I cleaned and painted the axle shaft and installed a new u-joint.

I removed the axle beam with radius arm and coil spring still attached, cleaned it and painted it, installed a new axle pivot bushing.

I removed the old coil spring bucket from the frame, cleaned and painted that section of the frame. While I had the coil bucket out, I decided to replace the negative battery cable because it was in bad shape and I was going to replace it eventually anyway. I had really good access to where it bolts to the engine block without the spring bucket in the way, so I took the opportunity to replace it now. I still need to eventually replace the positive cable.

Then I installed a new coil bucket.

I reinstalled the axle beam with new radius arm bushings. I also installed my new shocks, and reinstalled the steering knuckle. The next step for the passenger side is to reinstall the axle shaft, which I can't do until I finish the driver's side, so I moved on to the driver's side.

I'm doing the exact same thing to the driver's side as the passenger side, so I'm not going to type out every step I'm doing/have done. Right now the driver's axle beam is still out of the truck and the differential is separated from the beam. I took the stub shaft out of the diff and changed the center u-joint.

While I had the driver's coil bucket out, I had really easy access to the brake lines right where they come out of the ABS unit. They were in pretty bad shape so I replaced the brake lines with more nickel-copper alloy lines. Now the only original brake lines on the truck are the two lines that go from the master cylinder to the ABS unit. All the rest of the brake lines are new.

I'm picking up new axle shaft seals tonight. I will install them, put the stub shaft back in, and re-seal the diff to the axle beam. Then I can reinstall the driver's axle beam.

That's where I'm at now. I have lots of pics to upload, but can't do it while I'm at work, so I have to wait till later. Stay tuned!

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Finally some pics:
Getting started:

Passenger side axle beam almost out...

...And it's out.

Got the passenger side coil bucket out, here's the frame. You can see what's left of one of the rivets still in the frame:

Here's the rusty, nasty coil bucket:

And the section of frame painted with a nice new coil bucket mounted:

New axle pivot bushing installed:

Old nasty ball joints. The lower ones had a ridiculous amount of play in them.

Steering knuckle all painted with new ball joints installed:

Coming back together:

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Now for the driver's side. This side was especially rusty. Check out that brake dust shield (or what's left of it):

The driver side frame rail (note the crappy rusty brake lines along the top of the frame, more on that in a little bit...)

Driver side coil bucket. You can see several rust holes in it. Worse than the passenger side:

The radius arm bushings on both sides were bad, but especially the driver side:

The driver side bushing was so bad for so long, the radius arm rubbed against the bracket and deformed the hole. This hole is supposed to be perfectly round:

I have a new bracket for this side that I'll be installing soon.

Driver's side axle beam all painted and ready to be reinstalled, center stub shaft painted with new u joint installed, and differential waiting for new axle seals.

I cleaned and painted the original hubs and mounted them to new rotors with new wheel studs:

And ABS rings reinstalled:

And like I said I replaced those crappy brake lines with new nickel copper alloy lines. Here they are coming out of the ABS unit:

The coil bucket mounts to the immediate right of them. I had to make sure there was enough clearance for it. It's a really tight fit, but they fit in there like a glove. I have the new bucket installed, but no pic of it yet.

My new brake pads showed up yesterday. I have these Hawk HPS pads on my Accord, and they're fantastic. Best pads I've ever used. I knew I had to get a set for the Bronco:

That's it for now. I have to pick up an axle seal from the store tomorrow, then I can get going on reinstalling the front diff and driver's axle beam. Until then, I'm kind of at a standstill. More progress this weekend.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
This part of the project is taking way longer than expected, as usual. Still not done. I got the driver's side axle beam and knuckle installed, driver side front shocks installed, axle shafts and spindles reinstalled, front diff filled with oil, and new wheel bearings packed with grease. I have the driver side rotor/hub almost installed. My spindle nut socket is a piece of crap and keeps sliding off the nut when I try to torque it down. I ordered a better one that should be here soon.

I still need to install the passenger side rotor/hub, install the new brake calipers and pads, bleed the brakes, install new steering linkage, reinstall front sway bar, reinstall front driveshaft, reinstall the inner fenders, finish torquing down some bolts, and get an alignment. :buttkick:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals