• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 ranger disc brake conversion question

armyhooker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First I wanna start with..... I did read through the tech articles and I did read the sticky thread. I am just wondering if the kit from summit that cost $378 works. All it says under application is will not work on truck axles. Why is that?

I saw in the tech article that people do mustang disc brake conversion on rangers. so i dont see why it wouldnt work. Im thinking it doest work maybe because of the weld on brackets for the caliper? If anybody has any input on this that'd be great. Thanks!

here is the link for the kit I am referring to.....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-zdcds03/applications/

Attachments

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't be sure without more information that neither summit, nor the manufacturer provide online. My guess would be because most places consider truck axles to have large bearings, while most cars have small bearings. The difference in bearings size also means a difference in axle tube diameter and therefore different brackets. Most Rangers with an 8.8" had the small bearing, 28 spline, rear axle like the cars had. Explorer and larger trucks/suvs using the 8.8" used the larger bearing, 31 spline, rear axle. The FX4 LII Rangers may have been an exception, they had a 31 spline axle and may have used the larger bearing as well.

My guess would be that the kit will work on the standard 28 spline Ranger axle.

Like I said this is all just a WAG, you need to talk to Summit and/or the manufacturer for more info.

armyhooker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's what I suspect as well. I didn't know the difference in the bearing size. but I am thinking that it has something to do with the diameter of the axle tube. I will call them, I'm just in Afghanistan atm so its not super easy lol. Appreciate the info man.

bcw

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Cant fix it use a bigger hammer
Did you find out any info on it. I was looking at the same kit and wondering if they'd fit

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The answer is: partially

There are at least 4 different axle ends - truck - e.g. F-150; SUV - e.g. Explorer (both of which have larger bearings/mounting holes); Ranger and Mustang (aka car).

Mustang distance from brake mounting flange to axle wheel mounting surface is ' X '. That's what this kit is designed for.

For the Ranger, the distance is ' X-0.25" ' (don't know what ' X ' is, just that it is 1/4" less...) But, you mount the bracket on the other side of the flange, it is 1/4" inboard and distance is correct. These brackets are "C" shaped, so can be mounted on the axle with out modification, so you should be in business.

The hoses assume existing mounting tabs - Ranger doesn't have them. You will need to improvise (weld tabs on...). (Its a 2 minute job at local muffler shop)

The 'e-brake' in question is for car, with cables running up tunnel in center of vehicle; so they are wrong lengths for Ranger. I solved that issue by measuring 3X and then taking existing cables to garage door shop and having them swage new stops on at location I marked. <I'd show you pics, but as JoshT pointed out; I made a mistake in my installation, and I need to correct that before I show bad workmanship. My installation isn't unsafe but my subtle fix isn't 'correct' way to do it and I want it correct before I put it on web.>

Note: These are 11" vented rotors - a lot larger (more powerful) than the 10.5" solid Mustang rotors many of us install. You may need to adjust bias so rear wheels don't lock 1st.

Hope this answers your question.

bcw

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Cant fix it use a bigger hammer
So have you ran this set-up before and if so how did you like it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals