• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2 or 4 abs

texas03042

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 , 1996
Make / Model
rangers
Transmission
Automatic
NAPA sells rotors for 2 wheel abs and 4 wheels abs.
how do I tell which my 95 ranger xlt has? 2.3 motor, auto trans, 2 wheel drive.
also, does anything in the brake system affect the speedo/odometer? odo quit 2 weeks ago and speedo is cause for concern; it says 80 and i'm almost the slowest one on the road. even the FHP ignores me.
thanks-Dav

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Look at your front hubs.
If it has wiring going to a unit bearing, you have 4WABS (which I doubt).

No wires (encased in plastic tubing) means no speed sensors, which means you have RABS. Conventional front wheel bearings also rules out 4WABS, which I don't believe was available for 95 or 96 2wd.

Read this: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/speedometer.shtml

The ODO gears in the cluster get stripped if you zero it out using the reset buttom while the truck is moving. Might grab a compatible cluster at the junkyard if your VSS gear is not stripped. It should be on the driver side of the transmission, held in with one 10mm bolt on a fork. Remove that and it's a straight PULL to overcome the crud holding the VSS (o-ring) in there. You can still get those gears at Ford, just get the correct color (gear tooth count MATTERS!).

texas03042

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 , 1996
Make / Model
rangers
Transmission
Automatic
thanks

I drive the 95 and have a 96 for parts. no wires on either.
so I took the discs off the 96 and both are smooth and over minimum thickness-no need to buy rotors. I will put new pads in, thou.
I did reset the odo while moving-did it several times in fact. so one of these days I will gut the cluster on the parts truck to fix the daily driver.
thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals