• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

good deal, or too much?

gump1376

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Was looking at this 88 w/ the 2.9L 4x4 and 33-12.5 tires. Body is in immaculate condition with only tiny spots of rust. Took it for a test drive and it needs a new clutch and it appears the engine block heater covers are leaking oil. Grease on the body above the center diff. Ebrake lite is on but it rolls when you take the Ebrake off. With only 61000 original miles, I'm all for this thing, but can't come to paying that sticker price

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=44077&endYear=2015&vehicleStyleCodes=TRUCKS&keywordPhrases=lifted&showcaseOwnerId=66739931&startYear=1981&maxMileage=100000&searchRadius=200&maxPrice=20000&listingId=377385869

My question to you guys, what do you think it's worth. He said he'd credit for the clutch, but I'm hoping to get more off it.

Also, anything else I should be looking at? Suspension looks solid and checking the boots after they spray painted everything underneath it still looks good.
Unfortunately I didn't test the 4x4, but will get to that if I go back to haggle a better deal.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It also desperately needs a drop pitman arm.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Run. Im guessing it needs gears too. And a ton of other things that will be wrong with a truck that old. 61,000 original? And just how do you know that. Those old odometers just keep rolling over and over when they hit 100k. Just my .02 I have seen plenty of junk with a shiny paint job in my life.

artic alf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks like the truck was redone sometime in the late 1990's. if the price is close to what your looking to spend then go for it.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The carfax has very little records. nothing further back than 2010.

6ranger9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
it looks good (not my style personally) but I don't trust dealers..lol

I guarantee they marked up a pretty good amount over what they paid for it in a trade or paid outright.

Not to mention all the fees and taxes that will be added on to you target price (should they agree) to bring it over what you want to pay out the door.

I don't think they gave more than 3800 to 4k for it personally in a trade.

In my opinion alot don't use a truck like that as a "Trade -In" as they know dealers don't give crap for them and always offer under blue book...if the truck was that nice the previous owner would have sold it privately to get a lot more money for it in my opinion...This leads me to believe they wanted to get rid of it pretty quick.

The blue book on that truck is probably under 2k..the shiny single stage paint job and lift with some tires don't make it worth 6k plus in my opinion.

My vote is pass on it and find something nicer you can taylor to your likes over time.... I would check out private sales on craigs list and other venues.

Last edited:

gump1376

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies! Will have to pass on this one for this price. Was too good to be true. Ha! if he can come down to $3500 then I might think about the drive south again, but if not, I'm sure there are better deals to be had. I just have to look harder.

:beer:

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
location is a factor in price. Im sure its not that far off from yours but a truck like that out my way with 61,000 original miles, the lift and tires, and needing absolutely nothing cosmetic or mechanical to be 100% would only fetch at most $3500 if it were exactly what someone wanted in their dream truck.

Good decision on passing. With just the little things you mentioned were wrong that truck would just about sell for $2000 out my way. There are much better deals to be had and for that price you could build one just like it even if you spent 3-4k on a stock one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals