• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

random high revs

89rangerfun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 but 5.3 on the way!!
Transmission
Manual
OK 1989 single cab 2.9 5speed 4x4 83kmiles. Sometimes when I start the truck it is fine idles at 1200-1500 until it warms up after a min or 2 and then settles at 800. Other times it starts up idles at 2k and slowly creeps to 3-4k no matter what I do it trys to stay at 3-4k. When I out it in gear it's as if I have the gas peddle stuck almost and every time I take it out of gear or push in the clutch it jumps back to 3-4k. Sometimes it randomly goes back to normal and then starts again randomly. Clean air filter new IAC cleaned all other intake sensors. Checked every vacuum line and intake manifold gasket everything is fine I waisted an entire can of ether spraying stuff hoping that it was something simple. I also searched for similar problems and people said throttle cable might have dirt on the plate or in the spring. I cleaned the entire thing until it's spotless. And if it was the throttle cable wouldn't it appear stuck when looking at it because it looks fine. I am completely stumped any help would be greatly appreciated

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You seemed to have check most issues.

Do you have Cruise Control?
If so disconnect it's throttle cable and see if problem goes away.

TPS(throttle position sensor) Has 3 wires:
5volts
Return
Ground

Computer sends it the 5volts
If there is .7-.9volts on return line computer sets engine at idle, throttle closed
If there is 4.6-4.9volts on return line computer sets WOT(wide open throttle)

So above 1volt and below 4.5volts, is the throttle position
The TPS is like a Light Dimmer or Volume Control, a variable resistor, and can get wear spots
It is easy to test with volt meter.
Turn on the key
Pierce each wire with sewing pin to test which is which
The Return wire should be in the center, move throttle manually and watch voltage, it should increase and decrease steadily, no jumping around, and it should always be below 1 volts with throttle closed

89rangerfun

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 but 5.3 on the way!!
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the late reply I tested it will a multimeter and it seems to work fine 90% of the time. But when I tap it or move it sometimes it randomly gets stuck to wide open but leaves the throttle body shut. I played with the little turning mechanism and put it back together and it is working fine. I have a new one on order because none of the local part stores had them in Stock (being stationed in SD doesn't help) and I will change it out when it comes in. The weird thing is that when I start it up it begins to act like it is trying to idle up but then after 2 or 3 seconds drops right down to about 800 and then acts perfect. Oh well new one on the way.

Thanks a lot for the help!:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals