• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 timing indicator

librum

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Had to pull the distro, and now having trouble. The engine fired, fast idle, when I punched the throttle to drop from fast idle, it died, and now will not start. No spark at plugs.

So I am back checking everything. Either I am slightly off, or fried the Ignition Module.

Problem is that the timing marks are not what are shown in Chilterns/Haynes/Blue Book. There is no ladder/scale.

What I have is this:

The 'bullseye' is on the bottom, slot on the pulley in the middle, and pointer on the top. I seem to recall reading that at one time the ladder was a decal, so obviously long gone, and that the 'bullseye' was to hold a drift in the slot to lock the pulley. Or am I spacing? Is the notch the TDC mark for the pointer?

Any clues before I repull the air intake to recheck the distro.

Hoping it is not a ICM.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The timing marks were on a decal, but they are also scribed into the damper, probably covered under dirt. The slot you showed there probably is TDC.

Anyway, I doubt that's your issue. If you have no spark, well timing won't cause no spark. It will cause spark at the wrong time. Say no spark at any plug doesn't do much to narrow the field since most of the system is on a single line. Probably the TFI. Not sure why that is such a dreaded thing for you, they aren't that expensive or hard to replace. Takes me more time to drive down to the store and wait for the counter goon to look it up than it takes me to put it on.

jhammel85

Yeah they are easy to do...Just don't lose those little screws! That's about the worst of it.

Even if it's not it, it's good to have a spare in the glovebox.

librum

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the responses. No decal, and I just finished buffing to find no marks. But not a biggie. I will white mark when I find the TDC.

I am just trying to zeroize everything before I find out what the 'off' setting is, or t/s the system...

Next is the old probe in the cylinder again to find TDC, as the distro was disturbed, so can't trust that. Again, it ran, until I touched the gas to get off fast idle, so can not be that far off.

May be back with idiot questions...

librum

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update, the notch is not a timing mark. Per an old FMM I know, they are for orientation when the engine originally built. The decals are available but I could not see paying over 20 dollars as I could not figure a way to get the wheel clean enough for good adhesion.

The decal does orient off the notch, but notch is about 165 degrees after TDC. Using that figure, the engine is running, poorly, but running.

Now I have to find this false code 11, and figure if related.

Thanks again for the responses.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals