• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recently Acquired 86 Bronco II, won't start.

Torpedo423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone, I recently acquired a 1986 Bronco II that had been sitting for 10 years after the owner passed away, flat towed it 200 miles home with my 1989 Bronco II and have been working on it since. Today we attempted to start it after replacing spark plugs, plug wires, jumper'd the inertia switch to get the fuel pumps running, oil change and 5 gallons of fresh gas. However, she's still not starting. The guy we got it from says he drained the gas but never could get it going on fresh gas, we found the fuel pumps weren't running so jumper'd the inertia switch and they came back to life, we do have fuel pressure on the rail. We changed plugs and wires after discovering the plugs were pretty much toast and the wires were falling apart. However even after all that we still can't get her to fire up. We have had one previous successful start on starter fluid, ran it for about 20 seconds but she wasn't happy to be awoken from her 10+ year slumber.

Here's a video from today's attempts, cut down to a more reasonable 2 minutes, we let it sit for a bit between attempts trying not to overheat the starter. Any suggestions or help as where to proceed from here would be greatly appreciated, the guides and diagrams here have been extremely helpful in getting us this far and fixing bugs in my 89 B2, so I assume I can get some good info here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZfALmI8rZw&feature=youtu.be

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Something doesnt sound right there.

Verify your ignition timing and run a compression check.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals