• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

scarred

HarnessThis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Question. If the top of my piston is scarred/gashed from a valve breaking and falling into the cylinder, can I just grind down the piston to smooth it out? Or do I have to replace the piston? Thanks for your help in advance.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Is this in the middle of the face, or at the edge? If it is in the middle of the face there is no real reason it needs to be perfectly smooth, and grinding it down will just create a larger weakened area. If it is at the edge, near the cylinder wall I would 100% replace.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, +1 ^^^, no to grinding

There is also the possibility that piston has cracked where it connects to connecting rod, so all things considered I would replace it just on spec.
Piston clearance to head is very small in some places, if part of a valve ended up there just one time piston would break/crack or connecting rod would bend.
You can test for bent connecting rod by testing piston's height at TDC compared adjacent piston heights at TDC
It would be a shame to have to pull the head again if piston fails, but your call

Last edited:

HarnessThis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The gauge if you will is in the center of the piston, and I know the crank is fine, seeing how I can turn it fairly easy with a breaker bar. There is zero damage to the cylinder walls. I do not want to do that much work on this thing for I don't plan on keeping it once I can get it running. FML.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If there are no spark plugs in the engine you shouldn't need a "breaker bar" to turn it, should spin very easily

Put a straight edge across another cylinder and rotate engine until its piston is at it's TDC, top dead center
See what clearance there is then do the same for damaged piston

Unfortunately what you want and what engine might need are often not the same :)
Hate to see you waste time and money on top end fix and then end up with an engine that starts and runs for 5 minutes then breaks again, and you have to do the whole thing again, plus bottom end

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals