• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pulleys

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
I have been doing some research on under drive pulleys for the 3.0 v6. And it looks like a touching subject. There are some that thinks they are the grates thing and cheap horse power. And others say they are crap and a waste of money.But i've been looking and the only ones i have found are on summit racing at almost $170 for the kit. Made by Jet performance and if you to there site over two hundred. Does anyone know of someone else that makes or sales under drive pulleys for a 1999 3.0 v6 4x4 ranger. Trying to get it running good so i can park my 02 4.0 4x4 ranger and try and replace some of the rear frame rusted out bad. Haven't been able to find another frame to cut out and replace my rear half. all the 4x4 frames close have been hit in the rear.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On a stock 3.0l Vulcan engine you would be looking at a 1 to 3HP increase with 15% underdrive and 3 to 6HP with 25% underdrive.

The 10+HP gains published are for 225+HP V8s and 25% underdrive, and are true, and thats a 4% gain, so applied to 150HP 3.0l you are looking at about 5HP, less with 15% underdrive

Underdrive does allow quicker REVING so most of the gain is in the low/mid range which is good.

Downside is your alternator will be spinning slower at idle RPMs so voltage of 13.5 volts can not be maintained especially with lights or heater fan on.
15% is right at the edge
25% and you will get dimming lights at idle

3.0l is never going to be a fast engine without major engine changes.

I would do electric fan conversion first, before underdrive.

Not sure there are other pulley makers for 3.0l Vulcan, problem is the gain is fairly low for the price so they don't "fly off the shelves", it's a small market

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The JET pulley is the only option that I'm aware of these days. A long time ago there was a forum member named Underdog that had his own site with minor performance stuff, and he made/sold his own pulley set. It's been years since he closed up shop, but he had dyno charts showing something like 7 or 8 whp and 11 ft-lbs of tq gained vs stock with the underdrive crank pulley, so that should give you an idea of the potential improvements. I believe his setup was a 10% underdrive vs stock.

I installed my underdrive pulley set at the same time as my e-fan, and was very happy with improved throttle response, reduced noise, and improved MPGs. In my opinion they're without a doubt the best 'beginner' type mods for the 3.0.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
I've been running an underdrive pulley and E-fan for over 50k miles with zero issues in reliability. No charging issues with the A/C on, fan running full blast and headlights on at an idle. If I chug it down to 500rpm when taking off from a stop light, the lights will dim slightly momentarily--this only occurs when I have several accessories running.

Don't let the thought of charging issues scare you away from an underdrive pulley. They are guaranteed too free up a little bit of power and MPG. My truck gained nearly 1mpg average from the pulley alone. They pay for themselves.

Another note--All the accessories will last longer--they turn slower so less wear on bearings, belt, brushes, etc.

My truck still has the original water pump and alternator at 221k miles.

Last edited:

turbodude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
im also looking into the same mods. Underdrive and alternator pulley with some e-fans. I only see Jet as an option, but they dont sell the other pulley's anyone know where to get those?

Hermangarza

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So am I, would like to wake up the little engine. I’m currently in the process of an e fan

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You don't need a 4x4 frame rear section. A 2wd frame is the same at the rear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals