• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Codes?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ok, i went out and ran a KOEO test on the ranger (87 2.9) and got the following codes...

18-"Loss of tach input/IDM circuit failure/SPOUT circuit grounded" (Stored code)
33- "EGR valve fault, not closing properly" (Stored code)

...and code 67. This one is odd. According to the reader its not a stored code, but a "Neutral pressure switch"code for 3.0/3.8L engines, and a "Stored" code for trucks the book says is a AC clutch fault (which, is understandable seeing as how the clutch just flops there).

Obviously i understand the EGR fault, but the code 18 im clueless. Also, if im understanding the code 10 is just completion of the test, correct?

Im gonna do a KOER test tomorrow after i drive it a bit and get it warmed up, ill update tomorrow afternoon.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you not get a code before 10? When I pull codes on my '87 I get engine "off" codes, then 10 (signifies a 6 cylinder), then the engine "on/running" stored codes. Recently a forum member said that his code 33 was due to a bad connector at the EGR position sensor, but it could also be a bad EGR or plugged EGR port between the EGR and the throttle body. On my '87 a 67 is from pulling codes with the manual trans in gear (should be in neutral). 18? Check the SPOUT plug/jumper that you remove when setting the timing. You might check the connector at the ignition module also; I replaced mine recently because it had a bad connection there. Try wiggling it while the engine is running.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Now that you add that code 33 to the mix you may have a stuck EGR valve.

You say it misses, bad at idle, gets better when the engine is revved up, worse when cold, right? Gas engines can't handle EGR flow at idle. Usually even a little bit will stall the engine, but on a 460 if the valve is stuck just a little bit you might just get crappy running. I know the wife's Mustang did that last summer. A little piece of carbon came off and got caught inside, holding the valve open just a bit, and it ran like crap at idle, and a good bit less terrible going down the road.

Pull the EGR valve off and try to blow through it. Shouldn't let anything through.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Now that you add that code 33 to the mix you may have a stuck EGR valve.

You say it misses, bad at idle, gets better when the engine is revved up, worse when cold, right? Gas engines can't handle EGR flow at idle. Usually even a little bit will stall the engine, but on a 460 if the valve is stuck just a little bit you might just get crappy running. I know the wife's Mustang did that last summer. A little piece of carbon came off and got caught inside, holding the valve open just a bit, and it ran like crap at idle, and a good bit less terrible going down the road.

Pull the EGR valve off and try to blow through it. Shouldn't let anything through.
This is on my 87 2.9. Right now it seems to be rich and be low on power. Which, could pry be a stuck EGR.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This is on my 87 2.9. Right now it seems to be rich and be low on power. Which, could pry be a stuck EGR.
Could be.

The EGR position sensor on a 2.9 is an actual position sensor. It has a little rod on a potentiometer that gets moved by the valve itself, kind of like a throttle sensor. If it says the valve isn't closing it is probably not closing

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I know the EGR pipe is broke right outta the exhaust manifold, could that be throwin anything off?

Im gonna run some KOER codes when i get done at work today, see where that sends me. I thought it was an o2 bad

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Can you start by answering the previous questions about KOEO vs stored codes? As written, your code numbers really don't make sense. The unit does run them separately, right?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Fast, im not sure what you were talkin about, i even went thru the other thread...

Either way, i screwed up yesterday. I didnt let the thing get warm before testing...But today i did and got the following...

KOEO
"Memory codes"

Current? (if thats the right name) code...
34-EGR control circuit failure.

KOER codes...
41 HEGO (HO2S) sensor voltage low/system lean.

Guessing thats due possibly to the gapeing exhaust leak just inches after the O2?

Also whats making it dump tons of fuel and have no power?

As a side note, any idea why my reader picked up my 2.9 as a 4 cylinder and my 460 as a 6 cylinder?

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
34 as a KOEO code is definitely where I'd start. It's seeing a fault in the EGR circuit without the engine running. I don't have access, but someone here might be able to get you the pinpoint test to chase that down. Might check your local library to see if they still have the old Mitchell manuals on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
34 as a KOEO code is definitely where I'd start. It's seeing a fault in the EGR circuit without the engine running. I don't have access, but someone here might be able to get you the pinpoint test to chase that down. Might check your local library to see if they still have the old Mitchell manuals on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I looked at the EGR valve, all i see is a vaccum line and a single wire running to it. Ive never dealt with EFI EGR valves before.

But yes, ill hit up the library later today see what i can find.

I "fixed" the exhaust hole then re ran codes, the O2 fault was gone.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If you can't find it at the library, grab one of these online:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/362233304744
Mitchell 1987 Mitchell Domestic Truck & Van Service & Repair

They're worth their weight in gold if you have a code. Straight through troubleshooting sequence from beginning to end so you can nail down exactly what's causing a problem without any guessing. I've used one several times for engine things over the years, and the cruise control troubleshooting section helped me ID the cruise amplifier on my '94 Explorer. Really good stuff.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
No luck at the library. So ill order that mitchell.

Earlier today i cleaned all the old codes out. Drove it pry 15 miles or so....

All im getting now is the EGR code, as well as a coolant temp sensor code. Im also getting the no tach signal/dead spout code. I pulled the spout connector, the plug looked ok. Any ideas on where to go with that?

Ill yank the EGR as soon as i get more time, maybe tmw afternoon. Clean it up, the truck had sat for about 12 yrs before i got it, the old guy ran it around his golf course towing in dead carts and other odd jobs, but that was it.

I got plugs/wires/cap/rotor and both fuel filters, so ill get all that changed out shortly as well.

I banged the cat again, the rattling was something further back, and after getting the exhaust sealed up fairly well im getting good flow outta the tailpipe. So im thinking thats out.

Rusty #1 never gave me any of these issues, so im kinda runnin blind here.

I just feel like theres no throttle response here. It feels very lazy.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Consider yourself scolded by what I'm about to say, don't get butthurt okay?

The cat is bad! I can't believe you had the gasket done and at least didn't get a look inside!

I've never seen rattle cat there was not a bad cat, and I've been through a few.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
At the very least, buy a cheap vacuum gauge. You can confirm the cat's status one way or the other, and it's incredibly handy for testing other things in the future.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013VUZ7WG/

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Consider yourself scolded by what I'm about to say, don't get butthurt okay?

The cat is bad! I can't believe you had the gasket done and at least didn't get a look inside!

I've never seen rattle cat there was not a bad cat, and I've been through a few.

I didnt have it done, i rolled some aluminum foil up and jammed in the hole then put exhaust putty on it...its a quick fix to get by till the 97 gets done and itll keep the neighbors happy when i fire it up at 2 am...

Fast, i plan on getting one. I shoulda got one the other day and it slipped my mind.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals