• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No more groan!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Booster was bad absolutely no question if you have a rusty truck, check the bottom of your booster!
OMG!

not sure if free-play is set properly yet, the hardest part was getting the brake pedal switch back on the pin,

Turned the push rod pin outward nearly an inch doesn't seem to be enough there's a slight clicking clunking in the pedal now that I didn't have before. I guess that's the free play because the pedal moves about an inch and a half.
Unbearable hot and humid today again. We'll play with it again tomorrow morning when it's cooler.

Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I would consider moving. Vehicles are to expensive to be allowed to simply rot away. Alaska uses a lot of road salt too but I have never experienced that type of rust.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I'm pretty sure it was a farm truck PO said it wasn't, but everybody lies, I've found everything except chicken feathers in and around places of the truck strangely it's like many rangers the body has almost no rot

probably was left in the field with the hood open who knows, I am somewhat regretful that I bought the truck, but did get it really cheap. I sold the other truck because I just could not get excited about swapping it from automatic to manual even though I collected all the parts for that project. oh well,

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
With enough will power, you can make a dependable vehicle out of just about anything. It doesn't even have to cost much. Looks as though your project is coming along just fine.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
It all depends on how well it was taken care of before you bought it. If the owner/s didn't wash it thoroughly enough or clean the engine bay these things tend to creep up, usually at the worst possible time.

Who needs the break booster anyways? just put one foot on the other and pull on the wheel really really hard. :icon_rofl:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I would say it wasn't taken care of

Anyway, the brake pedal switch works, but makes noticeable click clunk that it didn't make before, we did put it back in the correct position .

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well I got under there and got a closer look!

it's not so much to brake pedal switch making noise as it is the pushrod from the pedal into the booster is not connected well, it moves back and forth about a quarter inch unlike the old one that has no back and forth movement so is it a bad booster because of that looseness? it works like it should otherwise.

Don't you hate doing things 2 and 3 times?

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Time to update this thread and Report on another interesting trip I've had down this Avenue.

After determining it was time to get rid of the groaning brake booster I picked up another and we put it in last week all is well I thought that something wasn't quite right when I started driving it,. Thinking it was the pin adjustment into the master cylinder, played with that a few times. Then I'm realizing there's a clunking clicking noise coming from the pedal...
Thought it was the brake light switch! it wasn't...

The pedal input rod into the booster was clicking and loose in the socket where it goes into the booster....

Also noticed this booster seemed to require more foot pressure to stop the truck, I actually went into an intersection and almost hit somebody...

Went over talked to the manager he said Dorman is a hundred percent Lifetime on their parts no problem but you still got to pay for it....

go change it and bring it back and get a refund....

finally get booster number 3 installed and decide to replace the master cylinder at this time since I had one, and had planned on doing it at some point...

Finally cleaned up last night (Friday) because that's what seniors do on Friday night?

We bled all four wheels... Did not seem to be very much air coming through....

pedal seems at least the same as it was before any of this was done to the truck and at it's least equal to my other Ranger that had new brakes all around...

just drove the truck around from the back yard to the front of the house, the seem work well! The pedal "feels" very good.

Feels like the front brakes are grabbing now per my other thread about proportioning https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177723&share_tid=177723&share_fid=28487&share_type=t

Taking the truck for a test right now it's starting to rain will report back if there's any problems but all seems well in paradise today.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
It's a wrap! It is nice to have brakes when you hit the pedal!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals