• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Parking brake cables

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
I'm switching rear ends in my truck and going from 9" drums to 10" ones. When I search parts stores online they only show one cable for the rear left. Not separate ones for 9 and 10" brakes. But on the right there's 2 different ones about 3/4" difference in length. Is there speed to be a difference for the left? Or could I get away with using my 9" cable on the right side.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
My 96 Ranger originally had a 7.5" axle with 9" drums. I swapped an 8.8" axle with 10" drums, e brake cables worked just fine. Literally no difficulty whatsoever. Was not difficult at all to get the original e brake cables set up with the 10" rear end. I have done this with several year 8.8 10" drum rear ends going into several different year rangers with 9" drums, I've never had any trouble getting the e brake cables to mate up correctly.

If you go under your truck before disassembly and find the cable that goes from the e brake pedal in the cab and joins to the rear e brake cables, you will notice you can pull that cable down quite a bit- what I'm getting at is that there is slack in the e brake cable assembly which is picked up by a spring of some sort in the e brake pedal assembly. This gives you a lot of flexibility in changing brakes... the lengths of the e brake cables isn't that critical (3/4" difference between ones you're looking at shouldn't matter, but maybe get the one that is closer to the length of your original cable just to be safe). I don't 100% know that e brake cables weren't different lengths between say, a regular cab and an extended cab, or reg cab vs. long bed, etc. But if you're re using your cables and simply trying to replace them with new ones... you will be fine. Just be sure if there is an option when buying cables that you use your actual truck wheelbase, body type to order the new ones, in case they were different lengths for different cabs/beds etc. Again they may not even be different at all between cab/bed options, I just don't know

Last edited:

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
All my cables were replaced last year so I'd like to keep them. Just thought I had to buy new ones at the axle for the 10" swap.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
All my cables were replaced last year so I'd like to keep them. Just thought I had to buy new ones at the axle for the 10" swap.
My bad. You are good to go

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals