• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Bronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
So guys I'm still working on my 91 ranger 2.3 however my father has have a 1984 Bronco 2.9 L and I was thinking of taking it off his hands . He says it needs a gearbox and a fuel pump, Im sure the fuel pump is similar to the ranger so i already know how to do that but how hard is the gearbox on the Bronco? Here are some pics of it

Attachments

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's an 89, not an 84. That might be important down the road.

When you say "gear box" are you talking about a steering gear, or a transmission?

The fuel pump will certainly be more different than either of the others between a Bronco II and Ranger.

I have found it is not hard to do, if you undo the front of the skid plate, and the straps you can drop the tank enough to slip the pump out.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
One of the big enemies with a bronco II/old explorers is body rust, and your Dad's BII looks pretty sweet!

To echo the above answers, and help get further advice (from people who know more about this than me!), when you say "gearbox", please clarify:

- do you mean the 5-speed manual transmission (based on the shifter in your picture?)
- is the transfer case OK?
- is the clutch OK? (though changing out the clutch when/if you are R&Ring the transmission is probably worth considering)

- being that the current owner is a family member (that you presumably get on OK with lol), you are in a good position to get honest answers about what is going on with the various components of the BII!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
That's an 89, not an 84. That might be important down the road.

When you say "gear box" are you talking about a steering gear, or a transmission?

The fuel pump will certainly be more different than either of the others between a Bronco II and Ranger.

I have found it is not hard to do, if you undo the front of the skid plate, and the straps you can drop the tank enough to slip the pump out.
My apologies it needs a clutch, just spoke to my father, it defiantly still fires up.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
One of the big enemies with a bronco II/old explorers is body rust, and your Dad's BII looks pretty sweet!

To echo the above answers, and help get further advice (from people who know more about this than me!), when you say "gearbox", please clarify:

- do you mean the 5-speed manual transmission (based on the shifter in your picture?)
- is the transfer case OK?
- is the clutch OK? (though changing out the clutch when/if you are R&Ring the transmission is probably worth considering)

- being that the current owner is a family member (that you presumably get on OK with lol), you are in a good position to get honest answers about what is going on with the various components of the BII!
Clutch for 5 speed my apologies, my fathers a mechanic so he knows those are the only things wrong with it its just he never gives it any time and just let it sat while he gave time to other people cars lol, so I'm going to take it off his hands before it rusts to death.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, changing out the clutch that you know is bad is probably a pretty good thing - going through the trouble of changing the transmission (Except you won't have to :thumbsup) and guessing whether your old clutch is reusable or not be nervewracking - and usually you just should.

Hopefully your Dad can help you out finding good quality parts at a reasonable price. In any case, you are going to have to get the transmission (and T-case) out of the way to replace the clutch parts (probably part of the exhaust as well) and then line up and put everything lined up and put back together after the clutch parts are in (clutch kits usually have a plastic thingy in there to help get your clutch spinning parts lined up). Haven't worked with 4WD setups myself - but lots of people on this forum/in this thread who can probably do it in their sleep. With some time, and space to work, and some advice-seeking,/reading up you should be fine.

Something to consider is that you probably want to replace the internal slave cylinder while you are in there, which will probably mean you want to replace the master cylinder (on the clutch pedal) so you don't ruin the new slave and end up doing this all over again. There is an itty-bitty $10 ford tool to disconnect the clutch hydraulic line that you will want to source online (ebay, amazon etc) or make arrangements to borrow. Also read up on pre-bleeding the clutch master/bleeding the clutch ystem after installation.

Maybe you see more rust damage than is visible in the photos, but looks like this BII is VERY worth saving for the price of a new clutch!

Afterthought: no disrespect intended towards your father. I merely meant, that, usually when you buy a vehicle off a stranger, there is is some question into what they think is right and wrong with their vehicle. In some cases it's not knowing, in others its a rosy bit of self-deception, which we all can be guilty of. In this case, it's all good - your father knows vehicles, knows THIS vehicle, and is not going to steer you wrong about it. Before getting knuckles deep in this, you might see if he has any advice is all...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals