• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 3.0 Won't Start

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I need a little help. My girlfriend's 91 3.0 ford ranger won't start/run. When I try to start it the truck cranks and kinda starts but quickly sputters out. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key. Also the fuel inertia switch is in the down position. Any ideas? My girlfriend drove it home from work this weekend and it just died in the driveway.

Thanks in advance!

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put a 5 gallon can of fuel in it and call me in the morning.
Big Jim

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Has 3/4 of a tank of fuel in it. Also as an update I replaced the fuel pump relay. Runs like a second or two then sputters out. If I depress the gas pedal while cranking it will run rough until I let go. Thinking it could be a bad fuel pump or plugged filter. Any thoughts?

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I would top off the tank. If it runs, you have a hole in the pickup . Do you smell gas? Last but not least ,do a fuel pressure test. Could be just about anything on a 25 yr old truck. Good luck, please post the final fix when you find it.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
Unplug the mass air flow and try to start it. A bad mass air can cause this.

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input guys!

Did some poking around this morning before work with no luck. The MAF sensor is fine which is a relief. Also checked the filler neck. I replaced it about 2 months ago because the old one cracked, but all the clamps are on and the tube appears to be in great shape.

I plan on changing the the fuel filter today after I get home. Since it was on my list of things to do, I already had a brand new filter in the basement. While doing that I plan to check the fuel pump by purging it into a gas can with the filter off.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Jumped out the fuel inertia switch just for the hell of it and changed the fuel filter (had the original ford one from 1991). Still no luck. Also cranked it with the filter off to see the fuel pressure. Looks ok to me. What do you guys think https://youtu.be/ChtEeylmBO8 ?

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Volume does not equal pressure. You need to check fuel pressure at the rail with a gauge and give us a number to work from.

ETA: Watched video. I've pissed harder than that. Lol

Last edited:

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Actually just looked that same link up. My buddy is on his way with some starting fluid. Thanks for the help so far everyone.

dancron

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Update:

Truck passed the fuel pressure test with 36 psi.
Truck would not run on starting fluid.
Pulled spark plugs from cylinders 4 &5, both pretty dirty and not firing every time.
Replaced all spark plugs.

Truck still doesn't run :( I'm thinking compression test next.

jalvarez52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Im having the same issue - can you help?

Actually just looked that same link up. My buddy is on his way with some starting fluid. Thanks for the help so far everyone.
I read your thread because I'm having the same issue. I have a 1988 Ranger with the 2.9L. I just filled up the gas tank, drove a couple miles, parked, and it will want to start but quickly dies.

I checked the pressure at the rail from the Schroeder valve and the pressure is weak, since it dribbled out rather than sprayed.

Thought I would start with the fuel filter rather than the pump to see if that is the issue. So under the truck I removed the "rock plate" and the plate that protects the filter housing. But have no idea what to do from here.

Like you I don't know if disconnecting the 4 ports will have my full tank of fuel on the ground. And after unplugging, does the bottom portion just unscrew?

Thanks in advance

Cars+PCs=Awesome

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I read your thread because I'm having the same issue. I have a 1988 Ranger with the 2.9L. I just filled up the gas tank, drove a couple miles, parked, and it will want to start but quickly dies.

I checked the pressure at the rail from the Schroeder valve and the pressure is weak, since it dribbled out rather than sprayed.

Thought I would start with the fuel filter rather than the pump to see if that is the issue. So under the truck I removed the "rock plate" and the plate that protects the filter housing. But have no idea what to do from here.

Like you I don't know if disconnecting the 4 ports will have my full tank of fuel on the ground. And after unplugging, does the bottom portion just unscrew?

Thanks in advance
Replacing the fuel filter is easy. After getting it loose from the mount, it's just a matter of pulling the plastic tabs of from the quick release fuel lines, then swapping fuel filters. If you get the better filters, they come with new clips that you reinsert before you replace the filter. Then it's just clipping the filter back in.

And the in ability to idle when you start the car can be one of the main issues: fuel pump, fuel injectors, or a sensor.

When I recently replace my fuel filter on my current Ranger when I try starting a cold after it's sitting for a couple of hours or from an overnight of sitting it will idle for a split second then it stalls out and I have to restart it and it's fine. I know my problems just simply the fuel pump. Nothing big.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals