• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Advice on front shocks

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
My 1995 needs some new shocks in the front. I replaced my coil springs yesterday and the one remaining factory radius arm shock stud (which required some welding, which is another story...), and I discovered that unlike the other stud which was replaced due to snapped threads (rust+breaker bar), this stud was badly rotted and chewed the living **** out of the shock bushing. My upper shock bushings are dry rotted too. On top of that, looking at my front tires, I noticed that what at first looked like camber wear (why I replaced the springs, which were rusty and possibly saggy) is actually cupping, which IIRC indicates loose or bad shocks. While both shocks have been loose for short times (right after each stud replacement due to not getting nuts tight enough), the amount of wear is more than that. Finally, the shocks, while not leaking oil, don't completely pass the bounce test (I get one big rebound, then a few small ones, which isn't 100% good?).

So, I'm looking for shocks. I don't feel that bilsteins are warranted due to cost, but otherwise I'm not looking to cheap out with crappy economy junk (which is probably what I had, they're unbranded red shocks). I mainly do city/highway driving, no heavy loads (minus my fat ass) or offroading.

Who makes the best shocks for TIB RBV's? I used to run TYC Excel-G's on my Durango (what I drove before I got the ranger) but that was a 4WD Dodge. Are Monroe Sensatracks good? (the normal kind, not the $$$ adjustable kind).

I'm on a work trip for a week and a half (truck will sit during that time, wife has a Taurus she likes better :dunno:) so I have time to bargain hunt once I know what I'm looking for.

Suggestions? (No I'm not lifting or lowering it :D)

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I recommend KYB's. They are not too stiff and not too spongy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals