• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dynomax Catback Exhaust System

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well I got a Dynomax exhaust for my truck awhile ago and figured alot of people probably got them too when they had the discount not to mention they aren't too expensive anyways.

I got the #39315 1998 - 09 Ford Ranger 2.3L, 2.5L, 3.0L, 4.0L Ex cab/ Short Bed. Single Exit, 2.5" pipe with 3" angle cut tip. (It says stainless steel but the one I got was Galvanized or Aluminized) And came with a super turbo muffler instead of the welded.

This is pretty much what I got, Except with a Super Turbo Muffler and U bolt clamps.

I purchased it for 200$ from Napa in Alaska, and missed the 75$ rebate by one day apparently. I opted for the really slow shipping which only took 3 weeks and didn't cost a penny extra. The system came with everything I needed: The donut gasket for the coupling, intermidiate pipe, Super turbo Muffler, 2x clamps, and the tail pipe with tip. The pipes are pretty good quality as is the muffler and stuff, the tip is polished steel andactually part of the pipe.

Installing it was easy as pie! I am pretty mechanical but I have confidence that even a beginner could do in your driveway with just a basic set of sockets, WD40, and a hack saw (maybe, i used one to remove the old exhaust faster.) It took me 30 minutes to do it with a lift and everything, 20 to remove the old rusty bolts and 10 to get the new one set up. I found I could only get the muffler on one way but others i talked to could get it on both ways... or just the opposite way only. The all you have to do it line up the pipes put the hangers up clamp it down and blot it together. I also reccomend putting some high heat silicon gasket sealer around the donut to make it perfectly tight. After that just start up and go. It technically should take about 1000 -3000 miles for the muffler to properly break in but I found that a good continuous 200 mile run will open it up just fine. Also to make it last as long as possible I put a couple coats of black High heat Header paint over all of the pipe and muffler to make it last through the winter salted roads.

Heres some photos and a video right after i installed it.

Heres how it sounded after the first 10 miles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMx5pxu9DXk

I plan on getting another video tonight to update how it sounds 5000miles later.

Munsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have been looking at this kit and plan to buy in the next couple of weeks, the 75.00 rebate is good until August 31st here. Thanks for the post, now I feel alot better about installing it myself. After installation I'l jump on here and throw in my two cents :icon_thumby:

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I installed this on my truck and I like it a lot. It is a lot quieter than no muffler at all, but has a little rumble to it. I got it for a little over $100.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dono what is up with Napa's site, they have the regular super turbo for 294 and the welded ultra flow system for 229... something isn't right. I would have returned it and asked what I paid for. The aluminized pipes rot out rather quickly. I've put up a super turbo cat back only to have it rot out in 3 years. We'll see... I think I'll be buying a system this summer... damn you for posting the info about the $75 rebate :D (the rebate form says you get a CHECK... it better be a check, I'm sick of CARDS) I think I'll be going through Summit, shipping and lack of sales tax comes out cheaper.

Last edited:

makindue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have been looking at this kit and plan to buy a Dynomax Catback Exhaust System in the next couple of weeks, the 75.00 rebate is good until August 31st here. Thanks for the post, now I feel alot better about installing it myself. After installation I'l jump on here and throw in my two cents :icon_thumby:
Why not jump now? Before it is too late to buy it. I am also interested with it but I am saving for it. I hope that I can get it sooner. :D:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

mmguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Just did my wife's Jimmy with the 4.3.The Dyomax kit I got from Jegs for $134.00 and it bolted up real nice. The sound is pretty much stock (but she is not big on sound) but she says it seems to have a little bit more power.

vanquisheder

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I heard dynomax got rust problem. How long is the Dynomax Exhaust going to stand against the rust?

Last edited:

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I heard dynomax got rust problem. How long is the Dynomax Exhaust going to stand against the rust?
In Arizona? Probably 20 years. In Michigan? Probably 20 minutes. Depends if you see a lot of snow and salt on your roads.

EDIT: same goes for any aluminized exhaust. If you want your exhaust to last, get stainless steel everything.

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My bro and i installed one of these on my dads 02 FX4. Im pretty impressed with them for sound quality, it sounds as good if not better than my Gibson for $150-200 less

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
With the deal going on for dynomax I'm having a hard time not getting one, but concerned that its aluminized, and with the salt.... how long ago did your dad install it? How's it holding up?

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
on Summit racings site they say $109. Is that before the rebate!!??

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
on Summit racings site they say $109. Is that before the rebate!!??
Yep! So basically $35 for a cat-back. This is what I'm struggling with! Just hate to install it only to have it rot out in 3 years because of our salty winter roads.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
Yep! So basically $35 for a cat-back. This is what I'm struggling with! Just hate to install it only to have it rot out in 3 years because of our salty winter roads.
YOURE BULL SH!TTING ME!!? fawk it for $35 it can rot out thats a mean deal!

EERNGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
With the deal going on for dynomax I'm having a hard time not getting one, but concerned that its aluminized, and with the salt.... how long ago did your dad install it? How's it holding up?
sadly we just put it on the truck this spring, so it has yet to go through a winter, but i have noticed less appearance changes in the 5 or so months he has had it than my Gibson had in the same amount of time. The Gibson is not destroyed yet by any means, but you can tell the difference in appearance over last year. im thinking you would be good for at least 3-5 years on an aluminized system, i think they (dynomax) have a stainless option for like $10 more, but that only covers the muffler. :annoyed:

Last edited:

zeos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the review. Unfortunately I have to replace the gibson system that was on my truck when I got it. The muffler is starting to rust out (only took 11 years), and the inspection guy won't pass me. Even though we don't have emissions in this county.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals