• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear window leaking water......easy fix?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Hey guys, my rear window (factory slider) is leaking water with all this rain we've been getting. I chased this thing a bit last year and thought it was the brake light and also thought I had fixed it by putting silicone around the housing. Now that it's raining hard, I can actually see the water dripping, not just noticing the headliner is wet this go around.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only lucky guy to experience this problem. I assume this is the gasket that goes between the window and the cab? Is there an any way to fix this without pulling the glass out?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nope no other way to fix it, all of mine have ever done it lol

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had a ranger that had this problem, water getting into/leaking from the headliner. I never did fix it, I parked it due to other problems. I tried silicone on the cargo light and that didn't work. I'm not where the truck is so I can't run out for a look, but how can it be the back window, isn't the headliner above the highest portion? My next thought was the rain-gutter but like I said, I didn't get to it.
Anyways, good luck on yours,

Richard

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
but how can it be the back window, isn't the headliner above the highest portion?
This is what I've always thought. I've noticed it's always a lot more wet on the passenger side, but really didn't think much of it until I saw it dripping. I would think if it were my light it would be more concentrated in the center. I also was doing Christmas shopping, so I pulled my cargo cover over the gifts I bought, and it dripped on the cargo cover; all on the passenger side. It seems to be right in the corner that it's leaking.

I called the local auto glass place and they want $75/hr plus materials......he said it should only take 30-45 minutes.

What do you think?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is what I've always thought. I've noticed it's always a lot more wet on the passenger side, but really didn't think much of it until I saw it dripping. I would think if it were my light it would be more concentrated in the center. I also was doing Christmas shopping, so I pulled my cargo cover over the gifts I bought, and it dripped on the cargo cover; all on the passenger side. It seems to be right in the corner that it's leaking.

I called the local auto glass place and they want $75/hr plus materials......he said it should only take 30-45 minutes.

What do you think?
Idk if anyone out there has been able to fix it, but i think i am starting to get the same problem (noticed some smalls stains where it dried up). And i dont know much about how to fix it other than to try and seal it yourself. But overall i would definately consider going to the shop and getting it done proffesionsally. I know alot of people here are DIY guys, but if they get payed to do this type of stuff daily... odds are it will be a hell of alot better than what you could do yourself. And it may last longer. It all depends on if you are willing to spend the money.

Hope you figure it out :)

partin_us_99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.slow
Transmission
Manual
I had the same issue on my 94. All i did was put clear silicon from driver to pass side on the top of the rubber tract sealing it to the cab. Also did the third light and screw holes. I sealed that b*tch tighter than a nuns chastity belt lol. No more leaks. Also smoothed it out so it didnt look like crap lol

RangerDaddy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I realize this is an old post but just thought I can add to this after having the same issue. My father has given me his 93 that is pristine in condition never having seen a winter here in Canada. Rust was not an issue. The carpet had almost an algae / mold smell to it. I have literally pulled the interior completely out seats, carpet, all plastics, headliner. In my quest I had taken the truck to have the back window removed and then put back in using urethane by my local glass shop. Came home and the next rain..water and when I removed the headliner it was wet in the drivers side upper corner....above the window. After taking it back to the glass shop the guys there found a couple of things....the roof / cab back seam was open for over an inch...you could shine a light from inside to outside ...problem one...The other issue was in the same body seam line there was a crack that ran all the way up and under the extended cab rain trough gutter insert which was allowing water to get inside the cab wetting the headliner. The crack and open joint can't be seen from inside the cab due to a double wall construction on the back of the cab and roof area. I plan on sealing it up with some urethane for the larger open seam and then using some thin flowable sealer of some sort that will creep into the small crack that runs up under the insert in the rain gutter. That should fix all the leaks.....I hope.

deezranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know if it needs to be a ranger specific gasket or can it be a general 3M type of deal? Got my truck with the window blown out and I'm in the middle of putting a new one in myself!

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Car Quest had the generic 3M gasket and it works great for my 1992.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals