• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Removing significant amount of excess transmission fluid

DoctorRoboto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life gives you lemons, just shut up and eat your lemons.
All,

I have a weird problem with my ATF that I don't want to make any worse. I followed the process in the manual to check the ATF on my 1995 Mazda B3000, and it was GROSSLY overfilled. As in, 3 times higher than the high mark when hot. I'm guessing this is the work of the PO, but it could be something strange like a clog somewhere. So I followed others' instructions and bought a hand siphon, and started taking out fluid. Well, I just pulled out about 2.5 quarts of fluid, and it's now roughly around the top of the hash marks, which is what it should be while hot. It is currently cold.

I'm worried that something is clogged, or something else weird. How is it possible that I could have taken this much fluid out? And when you start the engine up and cycle it through the gears, and it gets warmed up, how much might I expect to see the fluid level go up or down?

I'm even more worried that if I did something wrong and took too much out, that starting up the truck and shifting through gears will cause some kind of immediate catastrophic failure.

Any recommendations on what to do?

Related symptoms - before removing fluid, truck definitely clunked into gears when shifting under any kind of engine load, or going up hills. Also did a bit of clunking when shifting from reverse to drive at a standstill, and vice versa.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Immediate catastrophic failure can be ruled out by the fact that the proper method of checking the fluid after a rebuild is to start it and work it through the positions of the shifter. So basically if it blows up because you do that it wasn't going to last long anyway.

I assume you are checking fluid level with the engine running, since you are following a manual. Fluid level should drop significantly from engine off to engine on. 1-2 inches for many transmissions. Expansion amount is usually about the length of the hash marks from hot to cold. How much it may drop depends on how much is or isn't in the passages but if you haven't had the trans apart since it was last driven don't expect the fluid passages to take a lot.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Same thing with my truck...

I went to a reputable transmission shop to get my truck trans service done and told the guy I wanted a pan drop/filter change. He told me that the filter is non servicable (which is bs) and that he would do a flush. I figured what the hell, I would just go ahead with it (stupid on my part). Anyways, I drove it home after the service and it was shifting so hard that the entire truck was jaring and shaking. Anyways, I checked my fluid levels at home and it was 2 quarts overfull...same as yours. I don't know if you ever had a flush done, but if you did, then that might have been your trouble.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals