• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

horsepower

linda simmons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking of buying a small camper-1000 to 1200 lbs empty. Will my 3.0 liter 6cyl 2wd '98 ranger be up for the task? And after I add my crap-prob not more than another thou?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i dont think this is in the right forum, but your 3.0l should pull it as long as you keep in mind that it is a small v6 and not a big block.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is a towing forum, but you will be abloe to pull it fine. maybe not fast, but steady. Make sure and save some extra green for gas each trip with thetrailer.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It'll be no problem at all. I doubt you'll even notice a 1,500# trailer.

yellowford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just remember not to use 5th since its just an overdrive or it will grenade on you unless you get lucky and its fine.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It'll be no problem at all. I doubt you'll even notice a 1,500# trailer.
+1

I've towed heavier than that with my Ranger, pulled a 5x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer quite a few times, both empty and full. Pulled my 88 Bronco II home from Long Island (~700 miles) on a tow dolly. Pulled my choptop home from Philly (~300 or so IIRC) on a tow dolly (before it was lifted an all). Pulled the choptop up to Erie on a tow bar. Also pulled a tow-behind compressor for a jackhammer a couple times.

There was times I knew something was back there, but the truck handled it just fine, was able to do 65-70 with the trailer no prob and flat towing the choptop. Stopping was more of a concern than pulling, but I had previous towing experience and my Ranger came factory with the larger brakes and heavier GVWR.

1,500 lbs should be fine with just about any setup, but me being the way I am, I'd probably tow it with a reciever hitch and make sure my truck had the larger brakes. (Of course, I also put stainless brake lines on my Ranger and ran DOT 4 fluid... a bit overkill I know)

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
If you are looking at a popup it will do fine, towing it and your camping gear. Do not go nuts and put in half a bed of wood or 20 gallons of water in the tank and then expect to make it up a steep hill from a stand still. Also keep it locked out of overdrive, the 3.0 shifts enough unload on the highway in the hills (I88 out of Albany mine like to drop second going up some inclines if I have cruise on and not watching RPMS). Remember the truck may have a 3500 lb tow capacity but if you drop a 1000lbs in the bed the tow cap drops by a 1000 as well (or 500 lbs of gear an 2 good ol'boys in the cab = 1000). If you are planning to tow travel trailer type, good luck. The wind drag caused by the trailers front will damn near kill any speed and it makes the truck act as if it towing the Titanic, unless of course you have a cap on you bed to keep the air flow up near the trailers top.
PS: if you do not have one, get a trany cooler installed.
Info based on:
2002 3.0 Liter Ranger Edge, 2x4, 3.73 axle, 10in drum, trans cooler, tonneu cover
Towed:
2005 Jayco 806 Popup (closed 11ft long, 7.5ft wide, 58in ht) 1420 dry 1700is loaded. - pulled twice a year at least from Northern NJ to Ct/Mass line via I287, I684, I84
2003 Side load quad trailer (think open or clamshell style snowmobile trailer deck) loaded with plastic shed 6ft wide, 7ft ht, 7ft long and 700 to 1000 lbs of personel stuff (I was moving from NJ to Albany) Total trailer weight loaded (estimated) 1500 to 1700 lbs - pulled up I87 from NJ to RT23 and then up East Windham Mnt (think 1000 - 1200 ft increase in elevation in 2 miles or less, majority under 1 mile). - This acted more like 3000 lbs of pulling weight the whole trip and took some hard smart driving.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals