• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 how gutless is normal?

rusty shackleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 cologne v6 gutless wonder
Transmission
Manual
My credo
if it aint broke it will sooner or later
im looking for some info from people,who have owned rangers with this engine as this is my first one and i dont have another truck to compare it to... it is 4wd with the 5 speed. seems to really lack power and acceleration. it seems to struggle breaking 60 mph on the hilly winding roads around where i live. runs good otherwise with no engine lights.ive heard its inherently a dog of a engine and this may take some getting used to? any ideas? possibly 0-60 times i can compare to? thanks!!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I never ran a 0-60 test, but my '86 Ranger (2wd) and Bronco II (4wd) had no problem with any hills I ever threw at them and I regularly took the Bronco II on long interstate road trips. It sounds like there's something going on with yours.

What have you done so far with maintenance?

rusty shackleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
nothing yet as ive just put it on the road after it sat for around 2 years after the owner passed away. the exhaust looks kind of dodgey it may even have some foil and a hose clamp somewhere if i can recall. i was thinking maybe while im taking care of that ill punch the cats out and check to see where the timing is at as the spout connector looks like it was disturbed at some point.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
nothing yet as ive just put it on the road after it sat for around 2 years after the owner passed away. the exhaust looks kind of dodgey it may even have some foil and a hose clamp somewhere if i can recall. i was thinking maybe while im taking care of that ill punch the cats out and check to see where the timing is at as the spout connector looks like it was disturbed at some point.
No reason to touch the converter just yet. I'd swap the fuel filter and throw new plugs and air filter at it, then see where you're at. The timing is definitely a good check. For one thing, it's possible the SPOUT isn't fully connected and you're just stuck at base timing. Are you sure the Check Engine light works?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree, leave the cats alone until you have some evidence they are causing the problem. I have run 2.9s with and without cats. I had no power gain when I removed them, but I did loose some MPG.

Another good thing to do, and if you are going to do plugs that is the time, is a compression test. My first 2.9 was doing what you describe, and the ultimate fix was a new engine.

A good 2.9 should not be that gutless, but the newest of them are 25 years old. That's a lifetime and then some in car years. She may just be beat.

rusty shackleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i think i may have figured it out. after a couple drives around town i realized the front calipers hanging up quite a bit enough eventually to generate some heat and smoke. got pins lubed up and sliding though right side piston wont push back in so looks like that was it.almost embarrased to say i made a noob mistake like that...there is still a chance she is tired but hopefully not dead yet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals