• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 and towing

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You'll go about 2.5x slower in each gear. So if you like to go 60 in 5th, at that same rpm in low-5th you'll go 24mph. I think ~35 would be your top redline-limited speed.

The gear spacing is the important thing while towing and it doesn't change in low-transfer. Downshifting into the best gear is the right thing to do--keeping the engine at around 3,000+ on hills so it will make enough power to climb them.

To add ratios for a more exact match between engine and load you need a gear splitter--an auxillary tranny with a narrow gear that "fits" in between the spacing of your current gear box. A Gear Vendors, for instance, has a .8 ratio. Your top 3 gears now are .79--1.00--1.50. With a splitter they would be .79--.80--1.00--1.20--1.50. 4th-over would be useless, but that 1.2 3rd-over might be nice if your engine were running out of ass in 4th and you didn't want to wait for it to slow down enough to use 3rd.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I wasn't emplying that he rely on the e-brake, but that is just one other benefit to being in 4WD. I know in the winter my B2 front brakes lock up just by talking about snow... So when it actually snows a lot of times I pop it into 4WD when coming to a stop so I don't skid out of control.
Thats funny this past winter after sitting for 20 minutes in the snow I had to put mine in 4 wheel drive just to break my rear brakes free. They froze. I couldnt move out of the driveway only one wheel was spinning and thought I parked on ice. SO i put it in 4 wheel and my truck went down the road at a 45*angle because hte back wheel was locked up. After about 200 ft of revers it broke loose.:icon_twisted:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It has happened to me. I think water condenses and freezes between the shoe and drum and glues them together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals