• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger 2.9 running like crap...need help.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
my 87 ranger is running like crap. when i first start it up it will die unless i hold the throttle for alittle while. it has misfires pretty regularly, especialy when it's damp outside.

things i know are wrong.

the o2 sensor is not plugged in. due to the fact there is no wire running down to it.
does anybody know where i could get a wiring schematic to figure out where i need run the wire from the o2 sensor too?

the air box is all beat to hell and doesn't completely seal shut.
would this matter at all?

can anybody give me any other ideas i should check out. i would really like to get this thing running better before winter time.

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
What about the other "usual" stuff? Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, ignition coil, distributor module?

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i do need to check that stuff too. i just want to get a list of stuff to run through.

i guess i should have added that the exhaust smells really bad of gas. it's almost as if there is just way too much fuel. what all controls the computer to run the injectors on this engine, so i can check all that too?

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Fuel Regulator (little can DR side of the plenum, near the rear of the engine with a vacuum line running up to the side of the plenum), generally when the diaphragm ruptures, it will suck excess gas into the engine, and the exhaust will smell raw.

It will also get horrible gas mileage....

85RangerST

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First scan the trouble codes…don’t have a scanner no problem then use test light method. See tech lib here on TRS: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.html

You may have a faulty EGR. Try unhooking the vacuum line running to it.

The air box shouldn’t be an issue…the vacuum box under it though is part of the EGR system and would cause problems after the engine reached operating temp. Same goes for the O2 sensor.

jhammel85

Start with that O2 Sensor and the usuals that Flash mentioned. The 02 can control how much gas goes in as well.

I'd start with a haynes / chilton manual for the o2 sensor wiring.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i suppose i should have also said that the check engine light is not on. i will try to get that stuff you guys mentioned checked out.

azhrei

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no o2

don't bother with the o2 I haven't had one in years on my 87, I went to replace my y pipe with headers and found the wire broke... I didn't bother putting it back in... so I doubt that is your problem since it sounds like it was running ok without it.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
^I would DEFINITELY ignore this. Like JHammel85 said, the O2 can help with any fuel issues. Considering it's detecting how much o2 is in the exhaust and helps adjust the mixture accordingly... Yes, you can run without them, but it runs like poo poo and could definitely be contributing to your problem. From personal experience, adding O2s to my 89 Mustang 5.0 did beautiful wonderful unicorn things to it. Do things right, not half-assed because it's an inconvenience.

Last edited:

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok digging this thread back up here.

I recently found time to finally work on the O2 sensor issue. I found the wires that were supposed to go down to the sensor. the weather pack plug apparently found it's way on to the header when the previous owner had the truck and it melted all to crap. and the wires burned off. so I soldered on some new wires and got a new O2 sensor put in the exhaust.

I took the truck out for about a 10 minute test drive (some highway and in town driving) and it ran worse with the new sensor in then it did without it. it would idle ok, but as soon I would go to take off it would start sputtering and acting sluggish. had very little to no power along with a miss fire almost constantly. it seemed like it was loading up with fuel, because the exhaust smelled like fuel worse then before.

it ran so bad the whole time I was driving it, that I cut the wires that I just ran down to the new sensor. it instantly ran better. all the power it had lost came right back and the miss fire went away.

so my new question is, why would it run like absolute crap with a new O2 sensor in the system and then run better without it?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Are you sure you have the polarity of the O2 sensor wiring correct? It'll run either way but will immediately go super-rich if it's backwards.

Don't ask how I know.;brownbag;

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Something to note:

The computer MUST be "reset" BOTH the battery cable off, AND, with the battery re-connected, the code reset sequences (both) doing a computer read through the diagnostic connector under the hood (engine lamp reading) KOER and KOES The reason for this is that the computer HAS EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory).

Simply removing the battery cable only does 1/2 of the stored codes and NOT the EEPROM codes.

As well, the wire orientation DOES matter in the HEGO sensor, as there IS a common ground for the heater and the 3rd leg of the O2 sensor portion of the HEGO.

You will have to verify that the correct wires are in the right positions on the sensor connector, and THEN do the reset(s) of the computer.

This way the computer has a "clean slate" to work from, to re-learn the HEGO.

Greg

Last edited:

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It takes sometimes up to 100 miles for the computer to adjust to a change/or new sensors. A 10 minute test drive isn't quite enough. Also you need to disconnect the battery for up to 30 minutes for the computer to reset.

warno

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok i'll try to trace the wires back to make sure I hooked up the 02 senor right. and i'll do the erase sequences for codes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals