• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing water pump

ArizonaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So today I came back to my car after shopping, and found damn near all of my coolant on the ground. I headed back into the store, bought some coolant and started pouring it in... and it came pouring out just as fast. I limped home and checked it out, and it looks like it's coming from the water pump weep hole.

I figure a water pump isn't too much money, so I'll go ahead and replace the whole thing, but my question is this: is there a gasket/seal there that I should replace too? And what else should I check/replace while I've got things off?

Also, any tips or pitfalls to know about would be appreciated :) Thanks!

Flat_Bottom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
IIRC, I have never seen a water pump seal other than a bead of silicone. This was on my chevy's so im not fully sure but if it does have one it should be in the box. If it were me, I would replace your thermostat and belts while your at it.

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
IDK but weep holes do not usually pour out that much. Maybe a hose or where it connects rusted out. But yes they do have gaskets for H20 pumps and yes some people just use sealant instead. For your fan know your thread direction-may not be RHT. It is quick to pull the radiator and shroud out, too.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Whenever it comes pouring out like that, I'd pay extra close attention to the timing chain cover.

Most pumps will come with a gasket included, but I always use a sealer with it. My preference is Permatex Form-a-Gasket #2.

ArizonaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everyone for the advice. I replaced the water pump, used the gasket that came with it plus some coolant specific RTV, and replaced the belts while I was there. I bought a new thermostat and gasket/ring for it, but time constraints meant no time to do it now. Another weekend I suppose. Damn that fan clutch nut was on tight! A week later, and no issues, so I got it all (for now)!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals