• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise control in a Ford Ranger

2K-Ranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys... Ryan here and I just picked up a Ranger. Love the truck so far and glad to be on this forum!

My first question (oh and I will have many! :) is about putting cruise control on my truck. I've been looking at the Rostra kit here: http://www.redline360.com/rostra-universal-aftermarket-cruise-control-250-1223 and also this switch: http://www.redline360.com/rostra-cruise-control-switch-left-hand-250-3742

My truck is an auto so I don't think I need anything else. Do you guys recommend a kit like this, and if so, do you have any experience with this specific one?

Would it be better to try and get an OEM cruise control off a ranger in the junkyard? I figure that would be more work, but if not it might be a more reliable solution?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum until you put the year engine and tranny type of your ranger on your profile we have no way of telling anything about your ranger, let us know the year engine tranny etc. just helps that way.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have put several of these kits on and they do work- but having a choice I would go with the factory unit if available. The factory stuff will require the steering wheel switches, and if you buy them new are over 100 bux by themselves... a junkyard unit might be the way to go for everything, assuming all the wiring is in place and I suspect it would be. Make sure you have the master cylinder recall done, a switch in the end of the master needs to be fused- they would leak and catch fire. You may not have that switch since it didn't come with cruise.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Welcome to the forum until you put the year engine and tranny type of your ranger on your profile we have no way of telling anything about your ranger, let us know the year engine tranny etc. just helps that way.

I'm going to throw out a guess here... He's got a 2000 Ranger.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Make sure you have the master cylinder recall done, a switch in the end of the master needs to be fused- they would leak and catch fire. You may not have that switch since it didn't come with cruise.
Couple issues with this part.

1) Ford's system shows the vehicle was not originally equipped with CC, so it won't show the recall as applying.

2) The old style switch that leaked is no longer available. It has been superceeded by a new unit that isn't prone to leaking, so if he buys the switch new (buy the switch new, it's cheap) he won't be able to get the bad one.

3) Being that the truck was not orginally equipped with CC, the port for that switch will not be milled into the master.

For the record, if your truck does fall into that year range you will need a new master because the system won't engage if that switch isn't there and working properly. I've seen leakers that kill the cruise system until they get replaced.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put one from autozone on my 94 its by audio vox. Looks like you could add the late model steering wheel and stuff and hook it up as it is on/off, accel/coast only. so that is how the switches on the wheel are so the wiring is what would be needed I think to hook up to the control module. no need to mess with master cyl or anything either.

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to throw out a guess here... He's got a 2000 Ranger.
good point lol i guess i dont really read the names but will recongnize them when i see them if that makes sense.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
get the factory cruise ... we just did this swap to about 4 trucks.. all of them were prewired.. had to get a cruise servo, new master with brake switch, and the cruise pods.. works great!!! should take you about an hour or so to swap it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals