• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Acts like a tazer

repairedit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
So my 87 2.9l m/t 4x4 stopped running. It seemed to have 2 problems going for it. First low fuel pressure, easy fix replaced primary fuel pump, now has good pressure. The second was an intermittent no spark. Pulled distributor to remove and check module, module checked out good all half dozen times or so that I tested it. Re-installed all set to tdc . Now I turn on the key and rotate the distributor (cap n all) till #1 plug fires then tighten down. Now get this with #1 wire off and attached to extra plug that's grounded I rotate till it fires and I get aloud buzz from coil and under distributor cap the fuel pump relay kicks off for acouple of seconds and I get a continuous ark at the plug. Like a tazer! and the motor will not fire. What the hell. This is driving me nuts. I do not like throwing parts at something.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like the ignition module to me look under TFI troubleshooting. You will probably need the special socket available at most part stores to pull the module off the distributor and take it to the part store to be tested. Make sure they test it multiple times to warm it up first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals