• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Everybody would love to get 40mpg.

The oil companies don't want them to however.

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Love the build. Next Christmas when my daughter graduates college I'm buying her a new VW TDI! Oh and I assume ownership of her 2002 TDI!! Win win for both of us.

I love how the idiots in Washington keep mandating high fuel mileage out of new vehicles and then wonder why the roads are falling apart! If everyone is buying less fuel then less taxes gathered at the pump. A couple months ago FOURWHEELER or 4Wheel Off-road had an old article about the Chevy Blazer with 6.2 (I believe) that got almost 30 MPG! And that's not a light truck.

Steve

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
so on a head to head with a 4.0.......hows it shake out??

silverback

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
super great info. i am behind the learning curve. i recently thought of this type of conversion and very interested in doing one. i am new to diesel engines but this is the type of performance i would like to achive. what was total cost of conversion?

still i just got a line on a 86/87 ranger diesel rebuild. what would it take to drop that in a current 2000 ish ranger?

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
so on a head to head with a 4.0.......hows it shake out??
Hey bobby. I ended up trading off my b4000 for a tdi jetta with popped turbo plus cash before I was able to do a good head to head. I need to hook up with a local TRS member to see if they'd be interested. Heck, I was trying to find someone for my last dyno session to get baseline 2.5L whp numbers - offer still stands if anyone is interested: free dyno pull for your STOCK 2.5L, manual Ranger. :icon_thumby:

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
super great info. i am behind the learning curve. i recently thought of this type of conversion and very interested in doing one. i am new to diesel engines but this is the type of performance i would like to achive. what was total cost of conversion?

still i just got a line on a 86/87 ranger diesel rebuild. what would it take to drop that in a current 2000 ish ranger?
Cost REALLY depends on what condition your donor is in, how complete it is and how much you are able to recoup when you sell parts. Cheapest way is to get a wrecked 5spd TDI, pull the dressed engine and all wiring for your swap while pulling all the part necessary to swap the 5spd into an auto car which you can sell as a kit for ~$1500.

I'm not really sure how much effort it would take to drop in the older idi diesel into a newer Ranger. If comparing it to the TDI swap: mechanical would probably be similar in that you'd need to rework the driveshaft and mounts but the wiring would be MUCH easier as it is a mechanical engine...so no different wiring-wise than if you were to swap in a carb'd gas engine.

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Are you still going to sell the adapter plate? I am interested in one! Glad to see your still around.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Are you still going to sell the adapter plate? I am interested in one! Glad to see your still around.
Yessir. Got my local supplier all setup. Now just waiting to move to our new place before I can get going on stocking some inventory.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yessir. Got my local supplier all setup. Now just waiting to move to our new place before I can get going on stocking some inventory.
Keep us updated on the availability, as long as it wont cost a fortune to ship to Canada I will most likely be buying one.

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll set money aside just for this! I am always keeping my eye out for a good deal on a jetta, golf, or bug.

Jeeprider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad to see the trucks been working well for you!! :beer: Is there an ETA for the adapter plates yet??? I'm also interested in one along with the many others out there.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
Gauge install

Well I finally took the time to install my McNally pyrometer/boost gauge.

First thing I did was to swap out the thermocouple that came with the guages for a MCA setup. You can see how much longer the probe is with the MCA which will provide much more accurate temps in the center of the manifold.

I really dislike mounting the boost sensor right on the manifold or charge air piping so I decided to remotely mount the sensor on the firewall and run tubing. I also don't really care for the hard plastic tubing running everywhere so I slide it into some spare vacuum hose I had sitting around.

Here's everything mounted up in the engine bay.

How the gauge looks in the truck

And since I forgot to post pictures of my cruise control stalk install. Seems to work pretty well for me. Haven't hit it once with my knee and have very good access to it. I'll call that a win. :)

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
100% towing tank

I've now put on an entire tank of fuel where I was always towing something heavy and/or had terrible aerodynamics (flat front trailer).

Trips on this tank:

• Two trips towing the scissor lift
  • Four trips using same trailer hauling stuff: building materials and then misc household items (helped someone move some stuff out of their house)
  • Two trips hauling dolly empty
  • One trip hauling Eurovan
  • One trip hauling mk4 Golf

Mileage: 28mpg

I should also note that while towing I was pushing the truck trying to test out my pyrometer. With the EV in tow I was able to rev out to redline (at WOT) through 3rd gear before I was starting to run into EGT issues. I think under these circumstances it hit 1500F (limit on this turbo is 1650). Cruising down the interstate doing 65 I would also hit 1500F after a long grade climb.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Impressive numbers. Great build!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals