• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical Funk

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
These issues are on my '04 Ranger.

1. Wipers don't seem to function properly. They will only work on low and high setting and they will not park themselves. I have tried a new motor and have put a new switch in it.

2. The driver auto down does not work. I hear a click in the passenger foot panel when I hit the down button, but the auto down doesn't work. The window rolls down fine as long as you hold it down; just the auto function doesn't work.

Any ideas.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Both of those are functions of the BCM. Two problems in separate systems generally points to the only place those systems meet.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd like to try to diagnose the problem before I go jumping into replacing the BCM. Any idea on how to diagnose each problem?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I do. Do you have a scanner that will talk to the BCM?

From what you tell me about the window concern and what I am reading in the test it sounds to me like you already need a BCM.

The test for the window is to check for codes, I'll assume none since you haven't provided any, but the test ends up in the same place either way. So....

D1)Check for codes, no codes.

D2) Component test the one-touch down relay, you hear a click when you hit the one-touch, assume the relay is working. About all you can do there if it clicks is pull it and make sure it is passing power.

D3) Check voltage at C2051 pin 2 (power into the aforementioned relay). If power is present, new BCM. If no power, D4.

D4) Measure the resistance between one touch down relay connector C2051 pin 1, circuit 400 (LB/BK), harness side and accessory delay relay C2058 pin 87, circuit 400 (LB/BK) harness side. Measure the resistance between one touch down relay connector C2051 pin 5, circuit 400 (LB/BK), harness side and accessory delay relay C2058 pin 87, circuit 400 (LB/BK) harness side. If less than 5 Ohms, D5. If greater, new BCM

D5) This is how almost every pinpoint test ends. It basically says unplug everything, spin in a circle clockwise while hopping on one foot and throwing salt over your shoulder counter-clockwise for one minute, plug it all back in, and if it still doesn't work, new BCM.

The test for no intermittent wipers I can't even guess which way to go without knowing if there are any codes or not.

Test for no park of the wipers:

E1 RETRIEVE THE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCs)
Retrieve and document continuous DTCs.
Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Clear Continuous DTCs.
Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Wiper/Washer SJB On-Demand Self Test.

Are DTCs recorded?

Yes If DTC B1446 and the wipers park correctly, GO to E2 .
If DTC B1446 and the wipers do not park correctly, GO to E3 .
No CARRY OUT the run/park component test.
Refer to Wiring Diagrams Cell 149 for component testing.
If the relay tests OK, INSTALL a new wiper motor.

E2 CHECK CIRCUIT 671 (LB) FOR AN OPEN BETWEEN THE SJB AND THE WIPER MOTOR
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect: SJB C2280a.
Disconnect: Wiper Motor C125.
Measure the resistance between SJB C2280A-5, circuit 671 (LB) and wiper motor C125-5, circuit 671 (LB).

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes GO to E6.
No REPAIR circuit 671 (LB) for an open. TEST the system for normal operation.

E3 CHECK CIRCUIT 671 (LB) FOR AN OPEN BETWEEN THE SJB AND THE WIPER MOTOR
Ignition OFF.
Disconnect: Wiper Run/Park Relay.
Disconnect: Wiper Motor C125.
Measure the resistance between run/park relay pin 4, circuit 671 (LB) and wiper motor C125-5, circuit 671 (LB).

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes GO to E4.
No REPAIR circuit 671 (LB) for an open. TEST the system for normal operation.

E4 CHECK CIRCUIT 671 (LB) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
Measure the resistance between ground and wiper motor C125-5, circuit 671 (LB).

Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes GO to E5.
No REPAIR circuit 671 (LB) for a short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.

E5 CHECK THE VOLTAGE TO THE WIPER MOTOR PARK SWITCH
Ignition ON.
Measure the voltage between ground and wiper motor C125-4, circuit 1671 (RD).

Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?

Yes INSTALL a new wiper motor. REFER to Motor — Windshield Wiper in this section. TEST the system for normal operation.
No REPAIR circuit 1671 (RD) for an open. TEST the system for normal operation.

E6 CHECK FOR CORRECT SJB OPERATION
Disconnect all SJB connectors.
Check for:
corrosion.
pushed-out pins.
Connect all the SJB connectors and make sure they seat correctly.
Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.

Is the concern still present?

Yes INSTALL a new SJB. REFER toSection 419-10.
CLEAR the DTCs, REPEAT the self-test.
No The system is operating correctly at this time. Concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

SJB=BCM.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
D5) This is how almost every pinpoint test ends. It basically says unplug everything, spin in a circle clockwise while hopping on one foot and throwing salt over your shoulder counter-clockwise for one minute, plug it all back in, and if it still doesn't work, new BCM.

That's to funny ADSM08. You really kill me sometimes with your "humor".!!

Great detailed diagnose for this guy and others.. Thanks

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I figured out it might not be the BCM. I was holding the driver window button down like I have to on my Silverado. If I just tap it the window rolls down automatically.

Still haven't figured out what the wiper issue might be. Any ideas if that is the ONLY electrical issue?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Did you try disconnecting the wires from the wiper motor under the hood and check for dirt/corrosion?

Worth a shot...they are on the firewall behind the engine and might be getting moisture/dirt contamination...reconnect after applying dielectric grease if you have some...

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did disconnect the wiring and inspect it. It was fine. I even tried a new motor and had the same issue.

Could it be the wiper relay? Where is it located on a '04? I don't have the factory owners manual so I can locate it.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I've got the wipers to park themselves and work on intermediate. They will ONLY work funky on intermediate.

What they are doing is when you first turn the intermediate on they bump up about 2" and stop. Then they delay to the next time the intermediate is supposed to cycle. From then on they function as they should.

Any ideas on this? I have switched both under hood wiper relays with the fog light relays and both still work. I don't think it is a relay issue. I have replaced the wiper motor and the wiper switch without anything changing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals