• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dual in and out mufflers, are they worth it?

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I run dual in and dual out mufflers on most of my trucks because of the limited space. Most of them have the exhaust running down the passenger side so I see no reason for two mufflers when one would do the job. However, I am about to get yet another dual in and dual out for the Ranger I just acquired and I was thinking about using a dual in and single out this time. They are cheaper and I am running a stock 2.9. Also, I kick the pipe out right in front of the rear tire. So I am wondering if it is worth getting the standard dual in and out that I usually use.
Also, I have the same set up on our F250 with a 351. It is getting about time to put a new exhaust on it and I am wondering if that dual in and dual out is helping or hurting that V8.

Lone-Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well it all comes down to preference, really. But if you want to use a dual in/out muffler on your 2.9, I think you'd have to separate each bank before the y pipe collector to have 2 pipes to go into the dual inlet...

As for the 351, if its already got a dual in/out on it, and all your replacing is the muffler(pipes aren't too rusty), then heck, why not put the same back on it?

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I am doing the same thing to this Ranger I have done to all the others. I am removing the cats I'm taking the 2 pipes that come from that flange and run them to the muffler. I found that is easier and trying to join them. As far as the pipes coming now if there's no need for 2 of them the duel in and single out mufflers are cheaper.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
A dual-in single-out will be fine. The engine isn't all that big. For example Gibson sells both a single-out and dual-out kit but they claim slightly better hp and torque with the single-out.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I forgot about Gibson.

swifttony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I like the look of dual out mufflers. What brand of exhausts are you planning to get? I also like the one offered by Gibson.

LonesomeSTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351FI
Transmission
Automatic
I was not looking for a specific brand. I usually use a Flow Master because that is what is in stock most of thew time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals