• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another TBI swap

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
My dads truck is a manual tranny. I know that the a4ld trannies are vacuum operatied so this swap can still be done easily but I dont know of anybody that has done this with a auto bu the TBI unit has the tranny kick-down hook-up, if gotten off an auto vehicle.

It has the reliablity of FI, consistant and accurate fuel delivery but the engine doesnt sound any different from a carb. set-up.

Another thing I forgot to say is that none of the wires comming off the alternator that plug into the driverside harness were never changed either, they were taken off the Ranger harness and plug back into where they belong.

The next thing to do on the list is the change the powerstearing high pressre hose, its leaking where it goes into the powerstearing box and the screw is is turned in as far as it can go. My dad thought the block-off plate we made for the fuel pump was leaking but after I took a closer look it wasnt.

Still fine tuning the truck my dad is still turning in the screw on the fuel regulator to reduce its fuel comsuption, its not smelling as rich anymore, so fuel milage is unknown.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah i have an a4ld and was wondering if i still need to make some kind of switch as i would have to do with the duraspark. I dont seem to be able to find someone that has done the swap with an auto.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well what does the switch do on the duraspark set-up for the auto tranny (I'm to lazy to look it up or wanna research it). If its for overdrive then you can hook that to a toggle switch and activate it on your own?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
This is the reason they give you in the tech write up.
The A4LD automatic overdrive transmission is a Ford C3 automatic transmission modified with the addition of overdrive. The first version of this transmission has a single electronic control solenoid located in the valve body that moves a valve allowing transmission fluid to flow into the TCC (torque converter clutch) circuit of the transmission. When fluid flows through this circuit it causes the engagement of the TCC. This process is known as "converter lockup". The timing of this lockup is controlled by the ECA (Electronic Control Assembly). The purpose of the clutch is to create a direct positive connection between the engine and transmission. This reduces slippage, thereby limiting the workload on the engine which improves power transmission to the driveline, and fuel economy. Normally the clutch should only engage at a steady highway speed (approximately 45+ MPH) with the transmission shifted into overdrive.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
How difficult was the wiring. Do you take the whole wiring harness from the thunder bird and put it on your car? Do all the connectors fit together or do you have to splice them?

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dr 83! man its been a while! good to see your expanding ur knowledge.
im am very sad to say im selling my ranger...
well tryin anyways.
i have a number in my head and i wont let it go for lower, but i need the money.
and i swear to god ill buy another one one day soon.
as soon as i can afford a project.
im actually hopin noone buys it. haha

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the thread bump Jay, where have you been, got my truck street driving, got a job, etc...

As for the wiring twister I posted the answer in my build thread.

My dads truck runs great but we may have to buy a higher up name fuel regulator for his or rethink how the fuel is being done. But he's going to be putting a shunt I think in the fuel line to reduce the fuel by half or something like that.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow long time since I've been here to update this, BTW my dads truck is a manual.

New thing to update will include a better bed going to be put on his truck, pics later on that, and a fuel system mod.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok I know im behind on updates, need to put pics, etc....

Today after my dad got off work, he checked the oil out of the blue and the dip stick showed nothing, but still had oil pressure, doesnt leak the oil, but burns it so slowly but constantly due to it needs new valve stem seals put on (which are in the garage). We changed the oil since it was at 3000miles and only had 2.5 quarts in it that drained out. and black as could be.

Other then that, runs like a champ, lots of power, no complaints.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay, complaints time...

Tired of the cruddy fuel mileage, can seem to get better then 10 mpg, no matter what we do so its Duraspark time.

Yesturday went and order the dizzy and it should be in today. Ordering the parts on at a time so that we can get more points at Autozone. Today we are ordering the Duraspark ingition box plus already have a $20 credit so that will make it a $10 item plus get all the rest of the stuff so that we can get our next credit.

Are we giving up n the TBI, for now yes but going to put it all in a box and one day might return to it after we can figure out a way to get better mileage while being FI.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok he has all the parts for the Duraspark swap except the carb, hes going to get one from the JY, When I got to do mine Im going to make a metering block for the factory one.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Picked up a carb today from the JY for $25 for my dads Duraspark conversion off a late 70's Fairmont with a 255 v-8. Cant find any numbers on it saying what size the venturi is but I think we will be ok. It just needs a good rebuilding but all the parts move smoothly.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So you couldnt get above 10mpg with the throttle body. Did you have an auto or manual?

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put the TBI back on and adjust the fuel pressure at the regulator. On the top, there is a little plug that you pop out and it has a small allen head screw. Make sure you put a little bit of Jb weld or sealant in the bottom of the allen head to prevent leaks. The 2.3 guys use these all the time for dirt cheap Afpr's.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats the thing....I never saw the allen screw on top of the regulator when I popped the top off of his old old and new regulator (new has a plastic cover). Mine has a metal cap that is a PITA to try to take off.

We havent converted it to carb but he has everything to convert it over to carb so hes going to do that no matter what and I have already bought the dizzy to do the conversion. But Im not going to throw the system away, we will return to it one day (at least I will) but for right now we are going to this.
If anybody has pics of this, let me know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals