• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A few questions! Help me!

Applegonebad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I can't wait to get my turbo setup done here. I'm planning on rebuilding an 87 thunderbird 2.3. I have an la3 ecu for it. My truck is a 95 ranger. I'll be doing a complete engine swap with the tbird 2.3.I Have a bunch of questions. Help me out! No clue if it's obd I or II.

1.) wiring. Will the tbird wiring harness connect to my cruise control stuff? Which harness best suits my project?

2.) I don't think I have every one of the sensors for the tbird. What all goes before the turbos inlet? I have the stock intercooler that sits on top of the engine. Besides MAF, what am I missing? All the sensors in the stock airbox and stuff. What are they?

3.) what transmission (auto/5spd) is the la3 made for?

4.) what are the lines leading from compressor to intercooler and back to compressor for?

5.) I kinda want to use my 10:1 8 plug head with the better ignition. How the heck is that possible? The forged internals can take a beating so I'm thinking max compression. And better ignition.

6.) how can I tell obd I or II? Does it matter?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1.) Read here for wiring: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/turbo_swap_wiring.shtml
You will also see sensors listed in the diagrams.

2.) LA3 should use a VAF(Vane Airflow) sensor, it won't understand MAF sensor unless you reprogram it, which many choose to do, VAF also had a VAT(vane air temp) sensor inside.
And intake also had an IAT(intake air temp) sensor

3.) LA3 is for manual trans, LB3 would be for automatic

4.) oil cooler?

5.) as odd as it sounds you are usually better off with lower compression engine when running a turbo.

6.) LA3 is an OBDI computer, your '95 Ranger computer is OBDII, unless you have local emissions check that shouldn't be a problem
Your dash has an electronic speedometer/odometer, cruise control is as well, so the transmission you have now has a VSS(vehicle speed sensor) in the old speedometer cable hole, you will need to get a transmission that can use that type of sensor, so '97 or earlier transmission from 2.3l, these types of VSS have a gear on them same as speedo cable, so yours will fit any ranger trans but I would stick with the M5OD, which were used from '88 and up on 4cyl

Last edited:

Applegonebad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1.) Read here for wiring: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/turbo_swap_wiring.shtml

5.) as odd as it sounds you are usually better off with lower compression engine when running a turbo.

6.) LA3 is an OBDI computer, your '95 Ranger computer is OBDII, unless you have local emissions check that shouldn't be a problem
Your dash has an electronic speedometer/odometer, cruise control is as well, so the transmission you have now has a VSS(vehicle speed sensor) in the old speedometer cable hole, you will need to get a transmission that can use that type of sensor, so '97 or earlier transmission from 2.3l, these types of VSS have a gear on them same as speedo cable, so yours will fit any ranger trans but I would stick with the M5OD, which were used from '88 and up on 4cyl
Thanks for the informative response! Few sub questions.

I'm thinking the 8 plug head has a much better ignition though. Is it possible to use for the ignition?

So my m5od will connect to the tbird cruise system? Or my cruise is in the dash and it just connects to my trans? The actuation system for the throttle bodies cruise (mechanical system) will work?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
'88 T-bird turbo should have distributor(4 spark plugs) and TFI spark management system, the LA3 expects the TFI PIP(pulse) to time injectors.

If you wanted to use distributorless system with pre-'95 ICU(ignition control module) you would need to retrofit a Crank Position(CKP) sensor on the crank.
But not sure the PIP is the same for LA3 computer?
Also not sure on the return data from LA3 for spark advance.(TFI SPOUT signal)

T-bird cruise system?

Not sure I am following you.
'95 Ranger doesn't have cruise control and you want to add it?

But in any case M5OD trans isn't part of cruise system, the vehicle speed sensor(VSS) is.
Cruise control needs vacuum from intake manifold, a speed amplifier module(brains), VSS signal, a cable to throttle linkage and an Actuator(part that pulls on throttle cable).
Speed amplifier is connected to power, brake switch, clutch or neutral switch, and driver control switches(on/off, set/resume, +/-)
There is often a vacuum valve on the brake pedal assembly as well, when you apply the brakes it releases any vacuum from actuator, so a backup system in case brake switch fails to cut power to enabled cruise control.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My PC1 ECM is running off of the DIS crank sensor, so an LA3 should work just as well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals