• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cat replacement

juice90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I have a 98 B4000 and starting to look like I may need a new cat. Factory direct fit is over 800 bucks, and a universal is only 150 ( same manufacturer )

Looking at the truck how ever, the factory cat is an oval shape connecting to the exhaust manifolds and the universal is round.

Does anybody know of a flanged adaptor ( oval to round )that I can get so I can put the universal on, or has anybody tried to make one? I really don't see the sense in spending an extra 550 bucks for a bit of shaped, welded tin that cost only a few bucks to make in the first place.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Last edited:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
$234-$318 from rock auto. Look like a direct fit.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I know Summit racing sells a direct fit catalyst that fits a ranger I've had my hand on one in their showroom!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This would be considered an "off road" modification, however it will work and work well to save you some $$$.

Order a set of these O2 restrictors:(or any maker with the right angle works) http://www.ebay.com/itm/VMS-J-Style-O2-Oxygen-Sensor-Restrictor-Fitting-with-Adjustable-Gas-Flow-Inserts-/361822353865?hash=item543e4af9c9:g:wgwAAOSwB09YIkam&vxp=mtr
Remove the cat, use a pry bar or broom handle and gut it clean. Get all remnants of the honeycomb material out. Reinstall. Install the O2 restrictor in the rear sensor bungs. Install the O2 sensor into the new restrictors. It will fire up and run perfectly smooth. The restrictors act just like the cat internals would, and since the factory cats appear to still be there visual inspections will not draw attention. In many cases, the car will run cleaner than it did before since the old cats are loaded with years of crud
Or you could do none of that an not be a blithering jackass.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Good exhaust shop can make a universal cat fit without breaking the bank, but you have to find an old-school shop that really knows what they are doing.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stang99x. I've deleted your post. Removal of catalytic converters or modifying them in any way other than replacement is not only a state offense. It's a federal offense. We at Trs do not condone such discussions. You have been warned.

Jimmyrig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It ain't stuck till it don't move
Gonna use my own ignorance to step up for stang99x. I was completely unaware of any legal issues with punching out or deleting a cat. We don't have to deq where I live and it's a common practice any time the cat plugs or gets remove for any reason. Not knowing him, it might be that he didn't know either. I actually got lucky here, because I'm doing a full exhaust system in mine soon and a cat delete was priority one right after fixing some idiots Sawzall job on my y pipe

LittleFoot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Or you could do none of that an not be a blithering jackass.
Recent Ranger Owner- I came to this forum to help me find answers to problems I have encountered in trying to keep a 25 year old pick up on the road here in the Northeast... A solution is a solution, and if something is "illegal" then it's up to the vehicle owner to decide if it's worth the risk or not. But apparently here at TRS the way it works is Big Brother deletes a useful post and you just make fun of the man offering a solution... cool place.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
sometimes humor is misread.

Assuming you don't do your own work?

Just cut off the freaking flange and pipe in the new cat with good old clamps :) (mine is supposed to have 2 cats. but only has one)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals