• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 explorer Leaf spring and axle swap

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Has any one on the forum completed the full swap using the explorer 8.8 rear end along with it's under axle leaf spring set up on there ranger.

From what I understand from online research is this will drop the rear end about about 4 inches. But I am curious to know how this set up rides and handles with the stiffer explorer springs in a under axle configuration.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I haven't done it, but lots have. Check the lowering forum and the tech articles at the top of every page.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
I have done some digging on it and the physical swap is well established. It's the after effects that are not very clear. Especially as far as how it rides.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
>>>>

I have done some digging on it and the physical swap is well established. It's the after effects that are not very clear. Especially as far as how it rides.
========================
I've done it with Ranger springs and more on my Green 94, ride didn't change any & yes it gets you around 4" of drop.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I converted mine to spring over axle but the Explorer springs made the ride much stiffer.

I actually replaced the Explorer springs with a pair of low mile 2009 scab Ranger springs last fall and it now rides much nicer.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Using the Explorer axle and springs in the spring under configuration gets you closer to a two inch drop, maybe three inch considering the added diameter of the axle tube.

The Explorer's leaf is about two inches taller than the Ranger leaf pack. It's a fairly common swap to replace a Rangers leaf pack and lift blocks with an Explorer leaf pack.

For a 4" drop you'd be better off using the Ranger leaf pack with the Explorer axle in leaf under configuration and add a lift shackle to raise it back up a little off necessary.

Of course those numbers could be plus or minus an inch depending on how much the leaf pack in has sagged.

FWIW I have an '86 in my yard right now that has the Explorer axle and leafs in spring under configuration. It is weight on wheels, but far from complete. Also have a 99 4wd that has expert leafs substituted for the stock leafs and lift blocks.

Last edited:

proz07

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I currently am running a shortened 98 explorer 8.8 w/ springs on my 88 ranger. I cant comment on the stiffness compared to stock as Mine was shot so i went straight into the swap. It is rougher I'm sure but i also upgraded the shocks and did lowering springs up front so that adds to the harshness. Overall i cant imagine you noticing a "rough" rear end if you use stock front springs honestly. I think a majority of my stiffness came from running 17" rims on 50 profile tires. I wish i didnt lose my starting fender height measurements but it currently sits 27 1/4" at the fenders sitting on 245/50/17R. Id estimate about 3" of drop but my old 88 7.5 was wore the F out so if yours was good maybe 4".

Thats about all i can provide on that.

z

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
So I found a FX4 ranger rear out of a 2001 with 4.10 gears LSD and 10 inch drum brakes. Since this is a ranger rear end I should just be able to basicly bolt it and and go correct?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals