• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bypassing PATS in my '99 Ranger?

Noyz81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2 X 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering if anyone has ever bypassed the PATS system in a Ranger before? I'm having a difficult time spending a couple hundred dollars on one key for a Ranger that I recently purchased. If it's possible, I'd rather remove the lock and cylinder from the steering column and relocate it under the dash, with the one key I do have in it, and install several toggle switches on the dash for the accesories, starter, etc. and purchase $2 keys for entry to the vehicle. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone has or any other ideas.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've read some Taurus guys tape the good key on the inside of the steering column then use copies to actually turn the ignition.I couldn't make it work on my Taurus but it's worth a try.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
doesnt work for me as i have a plain key for my locks, and a pats key for my ignition. no matter where i put key it will not let me turn ignition with plain key. 100+? home depot would make me a key for 80 bucks where are you going dealership? jeeese... thats ridiculous my nissan altimas keyfob was 250 but i mean... its a key fob..
but ya keys can be expensive... my brother in laws 800 dollar scooter they wanted 250 to make a new key since he lost ALL of his... but thats his fault.

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm from Barrington... Where is it you're going that it's costing you a couple hundred??? I got a replacement key for my 00 Explorer about 5 years ago and it was $40

Noyz81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2 X 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
PATS key bypass

The local Ace Hardware was $80 for a replacement key and they thought that $80 was about half the price of a Ford dealership key. I went on ebay and bought a PATS key for $10.50, with shipping, but Ace couldn't get it to accept the code from my original key. They thought that it would only work if I programmed it in the vehicle using two already programmed keys before that one. I would be scepticle but I know the employee that was assisting me is a family friend. Today I took the column apart, which was actually pretty easy, and got the PATS part off the ignition and relocated it under the dash. So after I get the engine reinstalled and put this little project to the test I will definitly be posting my findings, especially if it works.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it is possible to relocate it all, and just use a key hidden to bypass it... the internet keys WILL work, however, like your family friend said, ford requires 2 good keys for programming, which is a reason i would recommend anyone who has a pats vehicle, with this style of programming, to keep 3 keys, incase one gets lost...

you CAN go to the dealership with 1 key, and a second and have them program it, though i don't know what they would charge for that...

the pats system on my truck (07 ranger) can learn up to 11 keys, i believe it is, and once that's full, you have to get the computer wiped and re-learn the keys you have... it also doesn't matter what 2 keys, out of the several you have, that you use to program the new key...

the pats system that is on my truck, learns to recognize the specific key, and does not program the key to be what the truck is looking for... though i have heard there is a way to "clone" a key, essentially, if you were to think about it this way, your key is an RF transmitter, and transmits on a specific frequency, all keys are on different frequencies, and the truck needs to know what specific frequencies to look for keys on... and by cloning a key, you would be making a second key transmit on the exact same frequency as one that already exists

of course they key it's self isn't an rf transmitter, as that would take a power source, that's just an analogy to help you understand how it works

bttlscrs00x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The local Ace Hardware was $80 for a replacement key and they thought that $80 was about half the price of a Ford dealership key. I went on ebay and bought a PATS key for $10.50, with shipping, but Ace couldn't get it to accept the code from my original key. They thought that it would only work if I programmed it in the vehicle using two already programmed keys before that one. I would be scepticle but I know the employee that was assisting me is a family friend. Today I took the column apart, which was actually pretty easy, and got the PATS part off the ignition and relocated it under the dash. So after I get the engine reinstalled and put this little project to the test I will definitly be posting my findings, especially if it works.
you CAN go to the dealership with 1 key, and a second and have them program it, though i don't know what they would charge for that...
This is what they did I think.. I don't exactly remember as it was my old truck and the key was only so I could get the chip for my remote start.

Noyz-- If it doesn't work, call Wickstrom Ford in Barrington. I've been going to them for YEARS and they've always helped me out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals