• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I think it's time

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
Here's the lowdown...
I bought a 88 ranger 4x4 as soon as i got my permit. Over the past 5 or 6 years with it i have done quite a bit of things to it including replacing the 2.9. I then hydro locked that one and have been driving it for almost two years now. It has troubles making it any further than town so a few months ago i got a 91 explorer 4x4 with a good running 4.0 and a crummy auto trans (surprise) for $500 to drive while i was going to do some work to the ranger because i didn't know the tranny in the explorer was dying a fast death. It lasted a whole 2 weeks. I bought a "good" tranny for $200 and that one was actually crap also. I then decided that i don't like the explorer enough to mess with it anymore. Ive been running around with the idea of putting a 5.0 and dana 44's under the ranger for a long time, but have also been thinking the same of a 4.0. Well now I got one and I have access to a very nice shop on weekends so I think i will save the 5.0 idea for another day since this swap is easier and cheaper since I currently have everything. I think I am going to pull everything from the explorer and put it in the ranger because the 4.0 is a better motor, the 7.5 in the ranger is crap, the dana 28 in the ranger is crap, and my transfer case has been slipping lately. I have read many different things on here about the swap and think I pretty much got it aside from a few questions about the wiring harness stuff. I have to say, some of AllanD's post make me scared to even try to do this. I thought I had the idea of how to do it, but now from what I read, it sounds like I have to swap the dash but not exactly sure. I hope you guys can help me along the way with any questions, but help on here has never been a problem before :icon_thumby:. Anyways, I plan to start this within the next few days. Here are a pic of the Ranger and the donor explorer...

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
LOL, your getting ready to do what I'm slowly working on.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95330

I'm going to change the dash because the one in the Ranger is trashed, and i like the Dash in the Explorer.

What trans does the Ranger have in it???? the trans on a 2.9 will bolt up to the 4.0.

I am going a bit overboard on mine, the wiring in the Ranger is also trashed, so I'm pulling all the wiring out of the Explorer and transplanting it into the Ranger

Robert

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
hehe i have done this swap a few times. it is quite fun. :)

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't be too scared of changing the dash it wasn't too bad it was worth it to me for the better dash.I also changed the heat and air while it was apart it's easy with everything out.When you reach the point of no motor,trans,dash,heater,hood there really isn't much left and that's scary but on the first drive it's an all around better car.

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
The ranger has a 5sp. Not sure exactly which one, whatever ones comes in the 4x4 in 88. I know it will bolt up but I thought it wasnt as strong or something? I like the dash in the ranger more than the explorer dash, not too fond of the big squares, I like the two round gauges. And the explorer doesnt have a tach so I would have to put in an aftermarket one. Maybe we can help eachother out along the way with any problems haha

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just did the 4.0 swap in my 88 BII from a 91 Explorer. The wiring isn't really hard at all. I got the EVTM's for both and the only problem I had is that some of the wiring colors listed in the books aren't what they are on the trucks. I solved this by just tracing the wires and ignoring the colors. Yes the original tranny will work but not for long. The 4.0 has too much power for it. Find a M5OD 5 speed out of a 4.0 Ranger or Explorer and it will last. Your front axle won't handle the 4.0 for long either but I assume you knew that allready. If you need any help with wiring let me know because I still have my notes from my swap. By the way just a couple of days after I finished my swap I took it on a 2000 mile trip and had zero problems. Love the 4.0 and would tell anyone that is thinking about it to just do it, you wont regret it and it is worth the effort!!

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Your tranny should be the FM146. It's what my 88 2.9 had. It should hold up while you're looking for an M5OD if you're not too hard on it.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
That's odd, my 88 super cab with a 2.3 HAD a M5OD in it, I had to order the bushings for the gear shifter.

Robert

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
I just did the 4.0 swap in my 88 BII from a 91 Explorer. The wiring isn't really hard at all. I got the EVTM's for both and the only problem I had is that some of the wiring colors listed in the books aren't what they are on the trucks. I solved this by just tracing the wires and ignoring the colors. Yes the original tranny will work but not for long. The 4.0 has too much power for it. Find a M5OD 5 speed out of a 4.0 Ranger or Explorer and it will last. Your front axle won't handle the 4.0 for long either but I assume you knew that allready. If you need any help with wiring let me know because I still have my notes from my swap. By the way just a couple of days after I finished my swap I took it on a 2000 mile trip and had zero problems. Love the 4.0 and would tell anyone that is thinking about it to just do it, you wont regret it and it is worth the effort!!

I will keep that in mind because im sure I will run into a problem or two along the way. I plan on using the dana 35 out of the explorer shortly after. So does the dash basically swap right over and bolt it from the explorer or???

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
To me it looks like it will bolt right up, I haven't pulled the A/C box from the Explorer yet, bit I read somewhere on here that I will have to cut a bigger hole, my 88 doesn't have A/C, but the rest looks like a good bolt up.

hopefully Today I can get the engine pulled, and then the A/C box, I'll let you know about it.

Robert

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
To me it looks like it will bolt right up, I haven't pulled the A/C box from the Explorer yet, bit I read somewhere on here that I will have to cut a bigger hole, my 88 doesn't have A/C, but the rest looks like a good bolt up.

hopefully Today I can get the engine pulled, and then the A/C box, I'll let you know about it.

Robert
Ok, thanks. My explorer has a/c and the ranger doesnt so it sounds like we are in the same boat with that.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I'm here to tell you first hand, that the A/C will bolt right up, no cutting the fire wall.:yahoo:

I pulled the 4.0 out to day and took the A/C out.:headbang:

Robert

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals