• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I know it's not a rbv but who cares

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In keeping with the spirit of jeep builds on trs I figured I'd name this thread similar to Adams (littebigfoot)

Basic background of this project is the jeep originally was used for hauling wood out of my family's land in Wisconsin.The stock 4.2l was junk,the axles were weak and it needed more beef.Enter the 1987 3/4 ton Chevy,picked that pig up for 500 bucks with a running 350 and good axles.The original plan was to stick the jeep body on the Chevy chassis but the chevy chassis couldn't be shortened enough to allow a decent drive shaft angle.

Fast forward 2 years of sitting and doing nothing I decided it was time to get to work on this bastard child.Adam came down and helped today and we got the Chevy chassis stripped down after a few hours and having to deal with the jeep body and other rusty crap.
So the 350,th350,np 208,10 bolt front,and 14 bolt rear are going into the jeep and I'm hoping it'll be done before next wheeling season so Adam and I can hit the trails hard and pull him out:thefinger:

On to the pictures

using the lift to break the transfer case free of the cross member( it was pretty stuck)

Yanking the motor,tranny,and t-case out.Easy as pie with a forklift

After that crap was out we wheeled it back in.Undid the ubolts,brakes,and steering and wheeled it back out where the forklift would help out once again.

Hooray for 14bolts and 10 bolt fronts.The 10 bolt will be receiving an axle truss do to weak axle tubes and me wanting to look cool:thefinger:

posing on the axle which is comparative to my cack

Last edited:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
9.5" 14SF? It doesn't look like a FF in the first picture.

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
9.5" 14SF? It doesn't look like a FF in the first picture.
Ya unfortunately,I was hoping for a ff but this is what I got and from what i've read they will handle 40's with a v8 and modest driving off road.The 10 bolt front will handle 35's and a v8 but I'm only gonna be running 33's.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
looks like a good time, ill hopefully be joining you and adam a few times next year. i got money to finish my 90 :D

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Finish your damn 90 Mike and step over to the dark side of MOOSE KNUCKLE!

What are we doin next Saturday, Mitch?

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finish your damn 90 Mike and step over to the dark side of MOOSE KNUCKLE!

What are we doin next Saturday, Mitch?
Most likely stripping down the jeep and possibly throwing the Chevy axles under it if I can talk my dad into going and picking up quarter inch plate for a truss.

Mike finish your shit because the new wheeling season is coming up quick and we are gonna need more rigs.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Most likely stripping down the jeep and possibly throwing the Chevy axles under it if I can talk my dad into going and picking up quarter inch plate for a truss.

Mike finish your shit because the new wheeling season is coming up quick and we are gonna need more rigs.
ill start ordering parts this week, i gotta get a tranny in my 89....i finally killed it. i lost 4th the middle of OCT and it finally went kaboom last sat. i got a tranny but i need to get ahold of the guy:icon_thumby:

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya unfortunately,I was hoping for a ff but this is what I got and from what i've read they will handle 40's with a v8 and modest driving off road.The 10 bolt front will handle 35's and a v8 but I'm only gonna be running 33's.
yeha that kinda confused me ther for a min. i was like "when teh hell did chevy mix a 14bolt FF rear with a 10bolt front?" lol tells ya how far it thought into that one lol, blonde moment. that 9.5 should work great for ya though!

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeha that kinda confused me ther for a min. i was like "when teh hell did chevy mix a 14bolt FF rear with a 10bolt front?" lol tells ya how far it thought into that one lol, blonde moment. that 9.5 should work great for ya though!
I'm hoping so,I'm kinda worried about the 10 bolt,my mind is in between 33's and 35's.I really wanna get that boat anchor chevy calls an axle higher up but I don't wanna push the 10 bolt front to far.Do you know if a 10 bolt front trussed will hold up to 35's with a v8 and some fairly technical wheeling?

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i wouldnt owrry about the trussing too much as compared to the internals. If you truss teh top or bottom of that bad boy it will be stout but the axles, stock carryer, and ring and pinion might not like ya too much. I do have to say that if your not rompin it too hard up rocks you should be fine. my buddy has a 84 k1500 with a semi built 350 and runs 44s on his front 10bolt without a hickup yet when we do some decent rock crawlin. he did just drop back down to 35s for fuel econ though. with the 35s he romps the hell out of it but im waitin for that front ring and pinion to say "fawk it!", it locked too up front.

in all it really depneds on your right foot and how far you depress it when you have a good bind on the front end, when something breaks you will know the limit. it nice cause parts are widely avaible for that front end so it will be a cheap fix

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I'm most likely gonna stay open in the front with 35's.I'm really undecided on what to do in the rear axle I know it will hold up to 35 locked no problem but I just really want the option or a selectable locker but don't wanna shell out the cash.Any suggestions? ox doesn't make a locker and arb wants close to a thousand dollars for a locker.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
bout time you started slapping some shit together for a wheelin rig, mitch. This looks like a fun project. You can hit me up anytime for some wrenching help.

oatmealman

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
jeep yj 14b rea
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
bout time you started slapping some shit together for a wheelin rig, mitch. This looks like a fun project. You can hit me up anytime for some wrenching help.
If I need ya I'll call ya.We gotta go wheeling when this thing is done.We should get a group of local people to go wheeling.Hows the truck?

84projectFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm most likely gonna stay open in the front with 35's.I'm really undecided on what to do in the rear axle I know it will hold up to 35 locked no problem but I just really want the option or a selectable locker but don't wanna shell out the cash.Any suggestions? ox doesn't make a locker and arb wants close to a thousand dollars for a locker.
that 9.5 will easily stand up to the 35s. i wouldnt really worry about that rear end. teh front will probably break before the rear. as for lockers your best bet would be a mini spool (not a locker but cheap), a detroit or soemthing along those lines. selectibles cost lots and some have the potential to break (OX seem to break alot from what ive seen and Eton e-lockers work good unless you engauge it wrong). You might be able to find a factory gov-loc from a truck and throw that in there. not sure if they made those for a 14SF but it would be cheap and probably be fine for what you do.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the ranger does great. ive been up a few times in the snow. no complaints all the welds still look nice and strong. speaking of that im picking up a new welder this week so I can fab up some body armor for the truck.
any ideas of a place nearby to get some scrap for bumpers/sliders?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals