• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2.9 Starter problems

Spartan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay.

89 Bronco 2 XLT, 2.9L Manual transmission.

I turn the key, the starter grinds. The spacer plate is intact and positioned correctly. The starter teeth and the flywheel teeth are all fine, no chips or missing teeth. The starter bolts are tight and the main cable from the solenoid to the starter is new looking, with no bulges or corrosion. Motor turns over just fine by hand, and is push startable. bench testing the starter with direct battery power kicks the bendix out all teh way, and spins correctly, it does not wind down like a bad armature would.

Voltage readings:

Battery voltage: 11.48V
Verified post to post, and positive to ground.

Battery to battery side of solenoid: 11.48 Volts

Battery negative to starter side of solenoid when cranking: 6.5 volts or so, creeps to 9 volts if the key is held down.
Voltage is the exact same as read from the lug on the starter to the bell housing

We swapped another solenoid in from an explorer, and it just clicked...no attempt at turning over that time, just a *Click* Swapped the other solenoid back in, it ground again

We cleaned all the contacts on the solenoid, the starter, and the battery, no difference in voltage or symptoms.

The main engine to battery ground WAS NOT touched yet, it is our next project.

My theory is that the starter is fine, I'm having a power delivery problem. It has enough power to kick the bendix out all the way and spin, but not enough to keep it held out, causing it to grind on the flywheel.

Any Ideas? I need Help soon, my 88 Thunderbird is going into storage!

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Might be a in-line fuse??

Have your tried a different battery???...could have a cell or 2 on the weak side

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I see an error just reading thru...there should be no battery negative to solenoid wire, or are you speaking of the positive wire that runs from the solenoid to the starter itself? if so, your voltasge measurements seem to indicate a bad wire or connection there...

Spartan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
SO.

We replaced the starter solenoid and the negative cable the other night....no dice.

I did find something interesting though. The negative cable runs down the passengers side frame and bolts to the engine block. Well, it also has the fuel pump ground running to a metal bracket that the negative cable runs through. In this area, the negative cable's insulation was SPLIT, and corroded the wire. The ground cable in this area also looked a bit MELTED.....uh oh LOL

SO, we replaced everything, and it still grinds at start. we pulled the starter for the 5th time, and used the best looking pieces from the two we had to try to make one good one.....no dice. it was fucked.

My theory is this: The ground cable was the problem the original owner had with the vehicle. He replaced the starter, but is slowly started to do the grinding thing as time wore on, until it ground all the time for me. I think that the bad ground made teh starter heat up, frying it slowly internally. This would explain why a fairly new starter was plain SHIT. The spare starter I got with the truck was likely shit from the word go, as we took it apart..the brishes on the motor were shot and the thing sounded wierd.

So we are throwing a new starter on it tommorow, and seeing if that fixes it. I hope it does, cause its gonna be getting cold soon!

gatlin04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
did you have any luck with it? It sounds like i am having the SAME problem.... i have a 91 ranger with an 89 B2 motor/trans.......

My flywheel is fine and i have tried NUMEROUS starters on it and nothing has worked....all it does is grind....

If you found anything out, give me a shout!

Spartan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It appears to be a ground issue. We think that the crap ground wire (negative battery cable to frame to engine) made the starters heat up and killed the windings. after replacing all teh cables and the solenoid, we replaced the starter. It works fine now!

gatlin04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Were you able to start it without kick-starting it before fixing it?

Im just trying to see if its the same issue that im having.... mine would barely grab the flywheel, but wouldnt kick it over.

gatlin04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I inspected my ground wire and it was corroded pretty bad, so i put a new one in. A while back i put a new solenoid and new positive wire in. I also put a brand new battery in....... it is till doing the same thing to me.... any ideas for me Spartan?
Thanks

Lead Head

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
11.48 volts with the truck off is far to low. A battery that has been fully charged, and has been sitting for at least 30 minutes after being fully charged should be 12.55-12.65 volts.

More then likely a cell has given up in your battery.

88ranger_2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4wd
Transmission
Manual
starter ring rear problem

I have same problem started off crunching tell it would not even engage. I looked at ring-gear it looks fine. Replaced starter and the replacement starter will not even engage the ring-gear. Original starter will enagage with a crunch once in a while!:sad:

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
87 Bronco 2 4wd M/T
Same problem I'm having now.. ring gear looks fine. Two different starters. Just grinds! Grounds look ok..Need help

d9n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks like I'm part of a group, rebuilt the engine 2 years ago and have replaced the starter twice.
Current starter has always made a high pitch grind noise when starting but does start. Battery's strong.
Today it would start the truck but stick on until I tap the gas, then it turns off.
Looks like another starter maybe due.
Question: what is the spacer plate? Is it the transmission bottom cover?
It appears the ground is a issue. I'll check that first. If I rememeber correct, this truck has more grounds then I can count. Does anyone have a picture of where the grounds are? Oh, my flywheel teeth all look good.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
I know the main one goes from batt neg to the frame to the passenger side od the block..on mine anyway

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Still havent figured mine out. Good battery,new ground. Put a new starter in and after one crank broke the end of the housing...took it back and was told its not seating properly..maybe the plate is my problem?

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Oh the plate is between the trans and the eng block...the thing that keeps you from seeing the flywheel

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals