• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

noob headlight question...?

MoToMaStR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Well, Summer is gone and alot of my normal driving is at night now. I have a 91 ranger 2.3L and its got really crappy yellow'd faded headlights. I use to drive with the high beams on all the time so i could see. My right high beam went out on me so to keep from getting stopped i drive with my regular lights on which SUCKKKK bad. If i pull my highbeam switch towards me, and hold it both high beams light up, but if i push it forwards, only the left ones stays. Do you guys think its the beam switch, or the lights or what? should i go and replace both? I saw the parts on ebay pretty cheap, any recomendations on lights? I did some sylvina silverstars on my buddys f-150 and they are pretty intense. can i run those bulbs in stock housings with stock wiring? Please help me out, i dont really know shit about electrical systems. I can tear down your transmission and do a valve adjustment blindfolded, but i dont know anything about electric systems. Thanks in advance guys. =)

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
replace the housings with a clear housing from Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RANGER-89-92-D-CLEAR-6PC-CORNERS-HEADLIGHTS_W0QQitemZ360206873332QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53de00b2f4#ht_2277wt_1165

or you can get the stock ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-91-FORD-RANGER-EXPLORER-BRONCO-II-HEADLIGHT-SET_W0QQitemZ310175960065QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4837ed8c01#ht_1916wt_1165

do not buy that cheap imitation HID kit.

if you want HID then buy this kit (clicky) or one similar to it.

and then we work on your switch. but your housings need to be replaced if they are yellowed that bad. I have tried sanding and repolishing them before and it is just easier to replace them

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
There is a product called "Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer" that is sold at auto parts stores for about $6. Its just a liquid that you "buff" into your headlight lens and then rub it off. Almost all of the yellow fading comes out and your headlights almost look brand new. It is a great way to restore your headlights for next to nothing.

I also bought some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras for my 94 Ranger with the same problem. They are expensive but you cannot beat how good they work. I think mine were about $50. As for your wiring issue, the new bulbs should fix that. The Rangers have three settings. Normal, High beams (push the lever foward), and then super high beams (pull lever towards you), so maybe one of those filiments is bad. I think replacing your bulbs should solve that. Hope this helps!

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
X2 on both products! Silver Star Ultra bulbs are as close as you can get to "Illegal" with out being illegal. Blue Magic makes good products. I have sold a bunch of this and all that have used it are impressed.

STingray1300

Reaction score
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I'm a newby on this forum, but lighting is a real sensitive subject for me. Why? I ride long distance motorcycle rallies (think 1000 miles + a day). I ride in the tar pitch blackness of the deserts and through critter laden roads in Canada. Yeah, my life depends on good lighting. My credentials include, but are not limited to, over 30 years of dealing with EC lighting (European). I strive to accomplish the best lighting I can find for each and every vehicle I have ever owned...

The Ranger is a tough one though, for 2 reasons: 1- vehicle specific light housings; 2- the dismal 9007 bulbs they use.

Here's a few things to consider: The "SilverStar" bulbs are made by OSRAM. They make 2 versions, the Sylvania -sold here in the US, and the OSRAM SilverStar marketed for Europe. In each and every case, no matter what bulb brand, the "EC" version is superior in lighting to the DOT version.

I am in fairly regular contact with Daniel Stern, a lighting engineer (a member of the US board of engineers "SAE"). Currently, the very best 9007 to be had is the Phillips Xtreme +80. I just slapped a set in my '06 Ranger. A very noticeable difference. http://store.candlepower.com/bfcopo90hbpo1.html

Now, if you want to rehabilitate the lenses (and you should, or the extra light will be wasted), here is a kit that makes a complete rehab possible: http://www.doublehornproducts.com/product.php?productid=8&cat=1&page=1 This kit is unique, in that it includes a spray coating that makes your headlight just like it was when it was new. New looking, new coating (that usually gets peeled over time, and even mild abrasives peel it even further).

A couple of other points worthy of note here: 1- Avoid any "blue" light bulbs, no matter what the claims. Imagine putting (blue) sunglasses over your bulbs...same effect. HIDs. 2 things: 1- installing them in a halogen housing (conversion) is #1 illegal - federally; and #2 very non-functional due to the shape of the HID "arc"...it can never be focussed properly, and causes light "scatter" that blinds oncoming traffic (do you really want to blind oncoming traffic, and then deal with a possible head-on?) Not a good idea. Also, the Kelvin tempurature of HIDs (4200ish) is actually bad for the human eye's ability to see in the dark. Halogen, more yellow in spectrum, is much better for night vision. "Closer to sunlight" claims is fine, if EVERYTHING is lit up. But when everything is dark, all "closer to sunlight" lighting does is create contrast, which not optimal for actually seeing at night. Depth perception and colro rendition are diminished significantly.

For more evidence, have a look at these very interesting articles:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/disadvantages/disadvantages.html

Daniel Stern currently has a st of E-code (European) headlights for a 98-01 Ranger. I only wish I could use them. These would be an unbelievable upgrade. Contact him through one of those links if you are interested. I am currently chasing down a set for my '06. Somewhere in the southern hemisphere (Brazil I think). Are they worth it? Oh yeah. I spent $600 on an E code headlight from the Netherlands for my motorcycle, because they are that worth it.

If you have any questions, feel free to fire away. Use this information as you see fit.

HTH (Hope This Helps) !

MoToMaStR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Thanks fot the input guys. What I ended up doing against my better judgement was pulling out the old ones to see if i could find something wrong with them first. LOW AND BEHOLD!!!.... there were 2 diffrent brands of bulbs in there. the right one (functioning bulb) had a GE bulb in it with a pointed black tip on it,... and the other one with no identification marks on it except "Hencho En Mexico" was shorter, and had a blacked round tip on it. Clearly there was 2 diffrent bulbs in there with diffrent burn times or lifes to them. I took my motorcycle down to autozone and picked up a set of sylvinia silverstar ultra's for 49.99. they gave me a $10 mail in rebate too. I used rubber gloves and was very careful during the install. WOW!! What a diffrence new bulbs made. I was blown away how bright those things are. I took some engine degreaser and a rag and rubbed the head lights. Some of the yellow crap came off but not enough for my satisfaction. I think I will just replace those damn housings. they are only 60 bucks on ebay, and hopefully i wont have to buy another set for 20 more years. Thanks alot dudes, everybody. I really apreciate it. Im such a dumbass, i was about to tear into the steering column and fiddle with the lights switch. hahah. Saved me a few hours of heart ache and disapointment. :icon_thumby:

machine090767

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton V8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Perfection is worth the wait
also, if you want more light, install some fog lights. great for inclimate weather.

STingray1300

Reaction score
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, fog lights do help during inclement weather, but they are not to be used for distance vision...they actually reduce distance vision for driving at highway speeds.

However, that said, the newer Rangers have clear lenses. They use an H10 bulb, a dismal 42 watts. With very little "adjustment" to one of the tabs, 9005 bulbs fit right in there and are a direct swap for the OEM plug. 2 things are good about the 9005: 1- they are 65 watts; 2- they do not have the "shield" (that black tip on many bulbs).

The effect? Like having another set of headlights, only a wide / short light pattern.

Now, if you feel really adventurous, try some HIR bulbs (Halogen InfraRed) #9012 bulbs. They come OEM in the Dodge Vipers, and produce about 10-20% more light than the 9005, even though they are about the same wattage. These are monsterous in the dark!

Have fun!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals