• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what oil pan to use with a 2.3 turbo swap?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to be swapping in a 2.3 turbo motor from a 86 or 87 merkur xr4ti with the later model ranger 5 speed (M5OD) into my 2wd 1983 ranger.

Do all ford 2.3 oil pans fit/clear in a ranger, or when doing this swap do u need to use a ranger pan?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm pretty sure you'll need a Ranger pan, some of the turbo engines were front sump where the Ranger needs rear sump, and the Ranger aluminum pan looks a bit better. The '83 pan won't work since they changed the oil pan gasket in '85 (or was it '86? I think '86 since my block was an '85 and it was the old style...). The aluminum pan has two more bolt mounting locations to the M5OD bellhousing as well. If it's not too hard, grab the pan off the truck that was the donor for the M5OD

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Ok to start things off i thought the merkur xr4ti I pulled my engine from was a 87, but after pulling the pan and noticing the difference between my pan and old pan and researching more about the changes ford did in iirc early 86, the merkur xr i pulled my engine from must have been a early 86.

My engine must have been the early style as it had a 4 piece oil pan gasket,bigger outside bolts, and 2 extra bolts to hold the pan on compared to the 87 xr pan.
For some reason when i was ordering parts for this project i just ordered a new oil pan for a 87 xr4ti instead of a ranger.

When I bought this ranger the org. 2.0 engine was blown and I had a 78 2.3 out of a fairmont laying around that I threw in it a couple years ago.
The stock 78 2.3 pan is rusted so i cant use that, but i will have to check if the org. 83 2.0 pan was good and maybe I could use that, thats if it fits the 2.3 which im unsure of ???

So, Yeah i think ford changed the blocks and pans in early 86 on the 2.3s.

Ok so if i use a later pan and the older style 4 peice gaskets would that work? as i can not find a new oil pan for a 85 2.3 ranger fior some reason.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
On mine I filled the rear main cap with lead (made a mold out of a brake clean can for a strip and made it fit tight) so I could use a later pan

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
On mine I filled the rear main cap with lead (made a mold out of a brake clean can for a strip and made it fit tight) so I could use a later pan
I would think that if i use the older 4 piece gaskets set and some sealant with a smooth pan id be ok?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
probably, I didn't want to have 1/2" thick of silicone or gasket, so I filled it with something solid, tried JB weld first but that was more of a pain than it was worth...

gimpy117

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if rear sump means the low spot is in the back than the 1987 ones seem to be rear sump pans

Last edited:

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FYI, some rear sump CAR pans have the oil drain plug on the driver side rear, NOT passenger side rear. I know this from personal experience, I can get to the drain plug but it dumps right on to the D35 pivot bracket. Total mess. Didn't catch this until the engine was in, when I decide to do a clutch I will pull the engine and swap pans at the same time.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals