• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Building flatbed what to do with gas fill?

98greenmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, in the planning stages of a 6 1/2' x 6' steel frame flatbed for my 98 B3000 and I'm wondering what has been done with the gas filler neck on other beds, if I try to take it straight out the side of the bed I kink the line really bad near the tank, I've heard of running it straight up through the deck and mounting it flush but I'm nervous about beating up the gas cap if its just mounted flat on the deck. Any advice is appreciated and pictures are even more so, thanks in advance

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

it-broke-again

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been wondering the same thing hopefully someone has some ideas

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
I build flatbed trucks for a living. Normally with the height of the longsills and the rubrails there is enough room to put your filler neck. If you are planning on having a lower profile bed you are going to have issues. You might want to move it forward or backward and slant it back using a longer hose. Keep in mind there needs to be enough slope to run into the tank. I've built them where I cut into the rubrail and mounted the filler right under the decking. Hope this helps.

Longsills: the part of the bed that runs parallel to the truck frame and sits on the frame rail.

Rubrail: the left and right pieces that make up the perimeter of the bed.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Last edited by a moderator:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i run it up with the headache, just hangs off a wire for like 8-9 years now... but if you run it low or flat on the deck for some reason cover it up with a hd steel cover for sure. keep water out. what ever you do make sure its protected from constant water spray or water exposure in case the cap gets left off or whatever...

i can run it under rail as i have a higher then wanted deck height, but i raised my gas tank as well and installed a 34 gallon unit.

take a long hard look at the situation and make the truck better for you if you are taking the time to make a flat bed. slide out under bed stowage....crane mount and maximal surface area and bedside options for carrying various materials will dictate design of floor toolbox and bedside mounts.

flatbeds can work really well or be all but useless if you build them without adequate tie points and bedside options. i can fit 4 motorcycles in mine and all the gear depending on what panels i am using.

the flat bed was one of the best mods i ever done. wish i would have built it the first day i had the truck. i have two metal drops and wood on the deck, a metal deck with a rubber mat is where i will likely end up as a permanent floor at least that is what i was thinking back in 08 or so :D .......my sheet wood deck buckles when not laden after a week or so of sitting.

i went to the raised deck mainly to allow for my monster fuel tank, tire size variables....and under bed stowage.

made from free scrap metal to boot save for the headache.

i beat it to death. but i really encourage you to take your time designing it and look around at all the creations off road and on if you have not already...overlander guys, construction guys..ect. if you have or are considering a slide in camper, that will have bearing on actual bed height to cab ht ect....

i really wish i would have built one right off the bat. put a little thought into it and i am positive you will be wishing you had done it sooner.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals