• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering Gear Options

HMWhovian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys, just a quick question. Are there any better, i.e. tighter turn ratio, steering gears for Rangers? I have currently a 1994 STX 4x4. Had previously a 1995 STX 4x4, both seem to have a lot of play in the wheel before actual tire movement, all the subsequent linkage, ball joints, and even a reman gear were installed on the 1995 and it didn't make a difference in the feel of the wheel. Would just like to go down the road without feeling like I'm driving an old jalopy.
Also, I can't seem to find the Saginaw pump replacement that is listed on this site for eliminating the whine.
Thanks for any advice, suggestions.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I believe that all Ranger and F series steering boxes are the same from 80-96 except for trucks that were built as an ambulance - they supposedly have a quicker steering ratio. Might find one in a junkyard.

As far as the Saginaw pumps go, I don't think the pump you're looking for is available anymore. I seem to recall looking all over in town and online and there were just none to be had, although I'm sure with patience you could round one up on eBay or somewhere else.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
use a van pump. custom hacking to fit it but they work...that or swap in a v8 of gm or ford windsor styles.

you could call red head to see if they can tighten the box up or maybe they make parts to change it...psc may be able to help...i know you can port it to change things, but this usually happens with assist applications....

i use u joints instead of the rag from column to gear. but i also understand the suspension system and can tailor the alignment to center better.

but, understanding the suspension system i know its not a car, and wont handle like a car. they drive like fords....:icon_rofl:

your best bet is to go to an sla truck.

or swap in a gm saginaw unit...say from a gm 2wd truck and make your own custom linkage. maybe a jeep grand cherokee unit if you want to stay inboard the frame rails.

i like the gm unit...i used one at one point shortly before upgrading my cooling system required me to go to the over the rail style ford box.

you could mount up a rack and pinion as well. seen that with 2wd's many times. its a bit quirky but instant response you seem to prefer. seen it with big block and cleveland swaps...

for the most part all the ford boxes that bolt in are the same...the car units are simply reverse...crown vic style. just swap the ranger input on so it goes the right way.

if you drive my leaf sprung sas truck without the track bar for a few weeks and get into yours...you will think your truck is a vette comparatively.

and i like my truck just like it is....which will scare some and seem normal to others depending on what they drive.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You could try to find a longer pitman arm. The stx hi-rider had them;

The one pictured above is from an 87 ranger STX HiRider vs a 91 Ranger STX. The hirider come from the factory with a 2" lift, that is why the difference in the drop. Some one good with oxy/acet could heat that up, straighten it, and re-quench. Or just use it as is, that's what I did on my race truck to get quicker steering response.

HMWhovian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'll be looking into a drop pitman arm for when i lift the front end as I've heard plenty about toe in problems after the lift is installed. I'm not looking for a car like ride, just not the 3-4 inches travel the steering wheel seems to have as I'm going down the road. Sad to hear about the saginaw pumps. Thanks for the replies guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals