• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Excessive Pedal Travel To Brake on 99 Ranger

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it ain't broke, I can't fix it.
Truck was hit in front while sitting in the street by a neighbor with a Honda Accord. My 99 Ranger coil spring truck with spindle lift kit was hit on the driver corner mostly fascia and directly on the tire while the Honda was still accelerating (likely drinking involved). Here's a pic of the damage.

Even with the steering locked straight ahead, the wheels both cranked to the left busting the steering rack completely. I replaced the rack and tie rod ends and while doing so, I noticed that the back of the calipers were making contact all of the time in the past and had a significant hit on the driver side during the accident. I hoped it didn't damage the brake hydraulics, but it definitely did something.

Now the pedal has to be pushed well over half of it's travel distance to the floor just to get any braking at all. Just in case, I bled the brakes yesterday to make sure no air was introduced into the system (all 4 wheels).

Today, I removed the master from the booster and measured pushrod travel and found it to be exactly making contact at rest and getting linear movement when pushing the pedal. Full pushrod travel from rest to pedal on the floor is 1.55”.

I then reinstalled the MC and jacked up the front of the truck. I measured the pedal travel distance from rest to just about stopping the wheels and that was 3” of travel. Yes, when pushing the pedal 3” from rest, I could still spin the wheel easily with my hands. At 3.5” of travel, I could no longer spin the wheel, but I’m sure it’s not braking enough to stop the truck yet.

Could the MC have been damaged from the LH caliper forcing fluid back to it so quickly? Could air have been introduced into the system and not have been bled out?

Last edited:

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Truck was hit in front while sitting in the street by a neighbor with a Honda Accord. My 99 Ranger coil spring truck with spindle lift kit was hit on the driver corner mostly fascia and directly on the tire while the Honda was still accelerating (likely drinking involved). Here's a pic of the damage.

Even with the steering locked straight ahead, the wheels both cranked to the left busting the steering rack completely. I replaced the rack and tie rod ends and while doing so, I noticed that the back of the calipers were making contact all of the time in the past and had a significant hit on the driver side during the accident. I hoped it didn't damage the brake hydraulics, but it definitely did something.

Now the pedal has to be pushed well over half of it's travel distance to the floor just to get any braking at all. Just in case, I bled the brakes yesterday to make sure no air was introduced into the system (all 4 wheels).

Today, I removed the master from the booster and measured pushrod travel and found it to be exactly making contact at rest and getting linear movement when pushing the pedal. Full pushrod travel from rest to pedal on the floor is 1.55”.

I then reinstalled the MC and jacked up the front of the truck. I measured the pedal travel distance from rest to just about stopping the wheels and that was 3” of travel. Yes, when pushing the pedal 3” from rest, I could still spin the wheel easily with my hands. At 3.5” of travel, I could no longer spin the wheel, but I’m sure it’s not braking enough to stop the truck yet.

Could the MC have been damaged from the LH caliper forcing fluid back to it so quickly? Could air have been introduced into the system and not have been bled out?
How come you are doing any work if the neighbor hit your truck? If you are not making his auto insurance pay the bill at a shop at least make the neighbor get his friggen hands dirty.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
How come you are doing any work if the neighbor hit your truck? If you are not making his auto insurance pay the bill at a shop at least make the neighbor get his friggen hands dirty.
I charged him for labor and parts and he coughed up the dough on the spot. I didn't anticipate an issue with the brakes though. He told me if there was anything else to let him know, so I may be taking him up on that offer.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Have you observed the caliper movement with the wheels off while having someone apply the pedal?

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Have you observed the caliper movement with the wheels off while having someone apply the pedal?
I have not, I merely observed the ability to rotate the wheel with the brake pedal at over 40% of the distance to the floor. I realize there could be an issue with caliper movement, but wouldn't that likely cause some sort of pulling left or right while braking? It goes totally straight when braking.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So I just removed the driver wheel and had my son press the brake pedal. I could see minimal movement on both pistons of the caliper once he pressed the brake pedal 3+ inches.

I then compressed the pistons back 1/2" or so into the caliper with a c-clamp. I was able to freely move the caliper on the mounting bracket with almost no resistance, so there's no binding or anything on it.

I then had my son press the brake slowly again all the way to the floor 2x and then on the 3rd time the pistons were extended enough to make contact with both pads to the rotor and the pedal firmed up somewhat at over 1/2 pedal, so back the problem I had.

Is there anyway the proportioning valve could've failed from this rapid "blowback" of fluid?

Diesel Mechanic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
If the deals inside the master cylinder start to leak it can cause this issue. Pull the cap off the reservoir , mark the fluid level and have an assistant push the pedal all the way down. If you can notice the fluid level go up, you are probably leaking past the seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If the deals inside the master cylinder start to leak it can cause this issue. Pull the cap off the reservoir , mark the fluid level and have an assistant push the pedal all the way down. If you can notice the fluid level go up, you are probably leaking past the seals.

Thanks, I'll check that out in a few days when I have some time and get back.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree. That seems to be where this is headed.

Another way to test is to get a small section of brake line that will thread to both ports of the master, attach it to itself, bleed quick, and then push the pedal. A good master will have the pedal locked up tight. A bad one should allow some movement.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Another way to test is to get a small section of brake line that will thread to both ports of the master, attach it to itself, bleed quick, and then push the pedal. A good master will have the pedal locked up tight. A bad one should allow some movement.
Do you bleed it by just threading one side tight and cracking the other, press the pedal until fluid comes out and tighten?

Would you keep the pressure control valve on the master while doing this?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, and no. Just a single line from one port to the other. You don't put tons of force to it.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo

It was like a fountain into the reservoir at the front braking port when the pedal was pushed for the first 3" of pedal travel.

Changed the master out today which improved things significantly, but it's still not as solid as it was before the accident, even after a full bleed. The ABS light is on now, so I know I will need to drop it at the brake shop down the street to bleed the controller out. Hopefully that's the last of it.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
When my wife went to take the truck to the brake shop, the ABS light went off, so I had her bring it back home. I wondered if the fact that I hammered the brakes 4-5 times the day prior to test them and actuate the ABS may have moved the air on down the line past the ABS valve... so I did another full bleed which as of now has provided a firmer pedal as well as the light has not returned.

Rangstang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Pedal is really solid after that last full bleed.

I also wanted to note that I found a small piece of rubber up against the pressure control valve on the rear brake port of the master cylinder, so I was pretty confident when I found that.

Thanks to both of you guys for your help on this!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals