• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Boat towing first time out

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Headed out for a day of fun. Bronco does ok pulling the boat but it's so light I wouldn't want to pull it a long ways. I pull it 15 minutes to the river and back so it's not bad. Up and down the ramp is no problem. It's running hwy speed. You really feel,the weight of the boat moving around.

Some of it is my last truck was much heavier so it's quite a bit different. I still feel comfortable though.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, short wheel base, and only 3,000lbs vehicle would get pushed around by that size boat and trailer.
Tongue brake or electric brake would make it feel better, but hey if you feel OK with it then.........just keep eyes open and pedal to the metal, lol.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You probably ought to look into getting a light-duty (single-bar) weight-distributing hitch and an anti-sway bar for that. Those two items together make all the difference in the world when towing with a SWB vehicle.

I've towed this thing from So Cal to Oregon & back a few times (about 3500lbs)... It tows well other than the little 2.9L only doing about 40 up some of the longer steeper mountain passes lol.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You probably ought to look into getting a light-duty (single-bar) weight-distributing hitch and an anti-sway bar for that. Those two items together make all the difference in the world when towing with a SWB vehicle.

I've towed this thing from So Cal to Oregon & back a few times (about 3500lbs)... It tows well other than the little 2.9L only doing about 40 up some of the longer steeper mountain passes lol.

I'll have to check into that, that would probable help a lot.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, short wheel base, and only 3,000lbs vehicle would get pushed around by that size boat and trailer.
Tongue brake or electric brake would make it feel better, but hey if you feel OK with it then.........just keep eyes open and pedal to the metal, lol.
trailer brakes would help for sure. Since I don't have to go too far I just take my time run about 50 and give myself plenty of room.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a tiny boat and your truck can handle it just fine. Boat trailer brakes are different in that you need hydraulic brakes because you dunk the trailer. That's a small enough boat that you don't need to worry about it. Focus your effort on making sire the truck is up to snuff.

Kayakcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's a tiny boat and your truck can handle it just fine. Boat trailer brakes are different in that you need hydraulic brakes because you dunk the trailer. That's a small enough boat that you don't need to worry about it. Focus your effort on making sire the truck is up to snuff.
Yea it pulls it fine. The truck I had before was much heavier and you hardly felt the boat back there. It's just different than what I was accustom too.

The Bimini top is only rated to 50 mph anyway, it wasn't on it yet in the picture, so I try to stay at or under that anyway. No need to tear it up going down the road.

I've already redone the brakes ,flushed the cooling system, trans filter etc. ready for a summer of fun

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals