• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone use Corroseal??

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Let me preface this by:

I know most products that claim to do something, usually don't work up to their hype, however.....

I've been piecing together my truck, and I have a few pieces of heavy metal (axle housings, suspension parts, etc...), that I wanted to see if I could clean up with some type of rust-converter.. I had read a few threads on them, and a few products stood out, but as I did a larger internet search, I found this product, the "Corroseal." It has a lot of great reviews, and doesn't require a ton of prep..

That's part of the reason I'm going this route right now.. I don't have a lot of time to take the truck off the road, and I don't have a ton of storage space to house parts after I send them off to get powdercoated or sandblasted. I realize that's the best approach for this stuff, but since I'm not building a trailer queen, and the New England winters can really beat up on bodywork, I was hoping to find a relatively simple and effective way to kill some of this corrosion..

Any other ideas??

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I kept seeing people reference the POR15, but it seemed like it required more work than I wanted to do, since I was thinking about doing one of my rear axles while it was still fully assembled (not in the truck though)..

Is it really as easy as just prepping it with their solutions and then coating it?? If that's the case, then I'm already sold!! From what I was reading, all I really have to do is knock all of the scaley stuff off and make sure there is no other loose debris, then follow the degreasing/cleaning/prepping stage, prior to painting..

grumpyguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Of course they want you to buy their other products but I think any cleaner/degreaser should work.Most guys in my area just pressure wash/steam and use whatever type of cleaner is available and then paint. When I first found this product years ago POR wasn't sellng anything but the paint, that should tell you something.

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That makes perfect sense!!!!!! As cheesy as it sounds, I'd almost rather buy the whole kit, and maybe try a couple small pieces; just clean and coat, and then set them outside for a few weeks to a few months.. I'm going out of town for work and may not be back until next Spring, so that could be a good test to see which method yields the best results?? I don't know, but you've already got me thinking I won't need most of that stuff!!

Plus I love the fact that the POR is water-based, so cleaning up won't suck as much as say, spray-in bed liner..

longdx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 16v
Transmission
Automatic
Used Corroseal today on my frame

I used Corroseal on my frame today (1999 Ranger XLT 4x4 that previously lived in Maine). I power washed the frame two days ago and parked the truck. Today, I used a steel brush over some flaky rust and slapped Corroseal with (first a foam brush and then a 3.5" paint brush). The product worked exactly as stated. Corroseal (like probably all other rust converters) needs a tight rusty surface to work. The frame changed to a satin black coating within about 1/2 hours after application.

I want to topcoat it but Corroseal suggest waiting a solid 24 hours before applying a topcoat. Rain is predicted tomorrow so I will attack it next week. I will post pictures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals