• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shoddy's '57 Ford Build

simonbrld

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nice, lots of possibilities on your truck. Great to see you're taking care of your old man's rig. Do keep us posted!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, i haven't done much to it until this year. id like to update this page more but i haven't really had the time and my phone doesn't like to send the pictures to my email all the time. this weekend i plan to swap in a ZF5 trans, i'll take as many pics as i can. this thing is proving to be a real pain in the ass.. fix one thing then repair three more. it was a miracle i managed to drive this thing for years without serious problems.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well the ZF5 is in, still waiting on the driveshaft to be lengthened. everything went pretty smooth and as well as you could hope. had to cut a hole in the dog house and I'm currently making a new tunnel with fiberglass and some mesh because the zf is taller than the c6 was. there is another issue.. the flywheel is rubbing the tin between the bell housing and block although I'm not sure if thats what is making a terrible noise when i start it. i put in all new parts, slave, master,clutch flywheel, and starter i took the starter back off to see if it was meshing correctly and seems fine but still makes a grinding noise for 3 seconds after hitting the key. it sure does fire up quick now, the old starter was on its way out anyway.

The nice thing was i didn't even have to make a new crossmember or mount, bolted right in like it was supposed to be in there lol.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
well the ZF5 is in, still waiting on the driveshaft to be lengthened. everything went pretty smooth and as well as you could hope. had to cut a hole in the dog house and I'm currently making a new tunnel with fiberglass and some mesh because the zf is taller than the c6 was. there is another issue.. the flywheel is rubbing the tin between the bell housing and block although I'm not sure if thats what is making a terrible noise when i start it. i put in all new parts, slave, master,clutch flywheel, and starter i took the starter back off to see if it was meshing correctly and seems fine but still makes a grinding noise for 3 seconds after hitting the key. it sure does fire up quick now, the old starter was on its way out anyway.

The nice thing was i didn't even have to make a new crossmember or mount, bolted right in like it was supposed to be in there lol.
I just found out a few days ago that there are shims that go inbetween the crank and flywheel when the flywheel is turned down. Who knew??? It seems obvious now!?!?. Any ways I was just pointing out that there may be some measuring to do to make sure everything is lined up where it should be.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, finally got the driveshaft back after they replicated the original one, costing me another 100bucks because of miscommunication. pretty much everythings good, just a few little tweaks left to do, drove it home and to work today. it's a bit scarey but i think i'm getting used to it. I'll try to get more pictures of the truck up.
The suspension definately needs redone, by the time im ready to shift to 5th gear it starts shaking and floating all over the road lmao. *The noise from the plate has quieted down, its probably just bent, i'll let the flywheel eat it lol.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
After reading some old posts, i realized someone had told me to get a manual spacer plate. I guess i should have ordered one from broncograveyard, oh well it doesn't make that much noise anymore, i found the real horrendous noise was coming from the starter i got, it would stick for 3 seconds after the engine started. Turned out to be I had it wired wrong. I moved the excite wire to the solenoid S position on the fender and works flawlessly now :)

The whole swap costed me:
ZF5 S-42 $450
clutch,flywheel,master,slave+ new line $510
Driveshaft $271 (made at cost, no labor.)

i bought a mittyvac vacuum pump from harborfrieght for $40 bucks to bleed the clutch, worked well even though i didnt bench bleed anything.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
things to fix: leaking driver side wheel seal or something.. definitely gear oil coming out. steering box leaks out of every possible orifice. The water neck is leaking. damn auto zone junk. wiper knob fell off, might need a new set screw, plus the wipers won't park for some reason, this pile is getting on my nerves. i'm trying to get the b2 back on the road and the '57 is falling apart.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Actually got it in storage this year which is a bummer cause i cant work on it but atleast its not buried in 3 ft of snow. The guy whos renting out a warehouse for mostly for boats told me my trucks leaking anti freeze all over the floor.

I forgot it does that. It weeps a little lol. But what he doesnt know is everything else is leaking too.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals