• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Edge 4X4 "Super" Ranger

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Christmas in May or maybe I should claim Fathers day early!

I got my rebuilt M90 back! I am expecting a little more boost and less noise.

I hope to get a chance to install it this week.:yahoo:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
What'd it run you, what was done, and where'd it go?

SVT

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What'd it run you, what was done, and where'd it go?

SVT
I got a basic rebuild for $500 off an Ebay store. You can get rotors coated and port work to get more out of the blower for more money at other places. I went with Marden 4063 or The Supercharger Store. It got new seals, bearings, a magnetic fill plug and came with 3 year transferable warranty. I am sure the old blower is getting sloppy enough to lower boost and increase load. Damn thing started rattling at idle.

I'd have hated for it to come apart and take out the engine...........

I hope to install it this weekend and hope to see a bit more boost!:icon_thumby:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The rattle is slack in the coupler which is an easy fix. The body on my M90 has some deep scratches, I'm sure the rotors could use a new teflon coating. I'm thinking of trying to line the body with a coat of clearcoat paint, and let the rotors make the clearance it needs. I'm doing my own porting work, filling in the silencer ports, etc...

SVT

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ya, The coupler is the most common source of noise. I replaced that myself, but most of the noise was still there. I installed the rebuilt unit yesterday evening. It made a huge difference! It is quiet enough now that you hear the blower whine and I picked-up a half pound of boost!:headbang: 7lbs now!

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Jeez! She knocked a bit on me, the dreaded preignition at high rpm and WOT. I pulled 3 degrees of timing and added fuel above 4,000RPM. I data logged a run around town and then a WOT pull. It is running great now but I see the injectors are at 90% duty and the MAF meter is almost maxed as well. It did get a little gain in boost from the rebuilt blower.

The hardware is on the edge. I am going to get bigger injectors and I have a 90mm lightning MAF to plumb in.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Try bumping your fuel pressure up about 20 psi, it'll flow more fuel, allowing the duty cycle to come down. Also, when you do a WOT pull for data logging, do the pull in 3rd (auto) or 4th (manual) so its 1:1 drive ratio...

SVT

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got an 1/8" vacuum fitting, length of vacuum line and a test style vacuum gauge. I am going to check the vacuum at the filter air box and after the MAF meter to compare what I got in the manifold. I am also curious how much vacuum she pulls at those places when under boost.

I believe she would benefit from an old 90mm Lightining MAF meter I got, larger cool air cone filter, larger tubing and larger injectors.

I also grabbed and slapped a turbo muffler on with downturn before the rear axle some time ago, 2" stuff, rushed that, should have gone with 2 1/4".............I believe that would help a little at high rpm.

Playing to get a bit more out of her on this holiday weekend.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
While everyone was sleeping-in on this Memorial Day, I went out and got my vacuum measurements. AT WOT and high RPM I got no vacuum at the stock filter housing which has a K&N drop-in filter. There's nothing there to worry about, unless I add bigger heads and exhaust.

I got a reading of 2lbs of vacuum after the throttle body at WOT and high RPM. There's a bit more room for improvement there. A larger Throttle body, MAF and intake tubing would help there. This set-up is maxing-out the injectors and MAF anyway. That's my next move.

Now I have a way to see how much of a difference I can make with a couple inexpensive mods.

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did some research here today and found the thread on utilizing a "Stang" 4.6l throttle body, looks like a good bit of additional flow there.

So I think I will go with a larger MAF and Stang throttle body. That's if the Banshee elbo from the T-body to blower is as big or can be opened-up to that size, otherwise there will still be the restriciton........................to be continued.

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I found some 36lb R&R'ed injectors with two year guarantee for $80 shipped on Ebay.

Now I'm thinking of using the 5.0 HO MAF I have from parting-out our old Explorer, these injectors, and then it will be ready for headers and heads!

Summer is coming and the only time it pinged was at high rpm on a hot day.

I will be able to read the Explorer tune with my Tweecer and steal the MAF transfer to use in my tune. I am assuming it will read more flow than the 4.0 MAF, but when I read it, I will know for sure.:icon_thumby:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Boom! :icon_twisted:3 hours later I got the 36lb injectors installed. :icon_thumby:

Adjusted my Tweecer tune for them: High Slope, Low Slope, Minimum Pulse Width, Injector Break Point, and Injector VS Battery Voltage.

It is running great and I got no more worries for predetonation when it warms up this summer.

Now she is ready for headers, exhaust and heads.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a new stainless EGR tube from ModBox. It allows more space between it the fuel line and coil pack. I was able to route it up higher and further away from everything. The old copper plumbing line was a bit close to wire and stuff so I had a bunch of heat wrap in place, now it also looks better.

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The next steps or goals I am working towards:

To go to 8.5lbs of boost:
2.64" pulley
intercooler
Head studz and head gaskets.

This should be good for another about another 20 horses and 30ftlbs. of torque. If I can afford heads and headers it will be more.

Last edited:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Two weeks without my rig. :bawling:

It will likely be another week. :bawling:

She's getting her engine rebuilt. The timing chain rattled-on past idle a few times and my compression test revealed that number 3 was down 30lbs and came back up with oil (Rings going in that cylinder) there was a noticeable miss when first started cold and with 169,000 miles, I figured the heads needed redone at least. With these 4.0 SOHC, you might as well do, heads, timing stuff and rebuild the engine while it is out

So being in class solid for two weeks, needing a cherry picker and timing kit, it made sense to me to get help with it. The take-out and install is $1,200 and the refurbished engine is $2,800 with a 6 year, 60,000 mile warranty. Not cheap, but I want a good reliable rig. It was hard for me to let go and have it done rather than DIY as I have for 30 years.....................

She'll be back stronger than ever, hopefully be the end of the week.:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals