• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spoke with an Idiot today....

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
OH MY GOSH< THAT JUST REMINDED ME OF A WORSE ONE FROM A LONG TIME AGO, I needed a T-5 for my 1984 Camaro, about 15 years ago. a junkyard had one, it was fairly dark at the time I bought it, loaded it up, took it home. I looked at it in the back of my truck

it was a T5 alright.......a T-5 from a ford! even had ford logos on the reverse light connector. I called him back he told me I was wrong and that he "pulled it from a Camaro" himself........ I took it back, and he showed me the car. it was some fox body mustang. and like my explorer guy, he seemed to think that any '80s American muscle car was a "Camaro" :icon_rofl: and he was a freaking junkyard!

luckily I got my money back

Wow, what yard was this?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i had a slightly lifted explorer i was selling on our local classifieds (ksl.com/classifieds) a guy calls me

him-"i'm calling about your jeep"

me-"I sold that a year ago"

him-"your ad is only 2 days old"

me-"oh, you mean my ford?"

him-"its a jeep"

me-"its a ford explorer...."

him-"yeah, your jeep"

after a minute of at first thinking I may have accidentally attached a picture file from the same folder of my old '97 jeep, I finally figured out, that this dude believed if it was a 4wd, with any lift, or tires at all it was called a "jeep" used for "jeeping"

and according to him I was wrong when I tried to clarify (in the interest of not mis-representing what I was selling) "this is not a JEEP, this is a ford explorer"

to him it meant the same thing *sigh
The morning we moved out of our last place I got into an argument with a lady there who had parked in our ASSIGNED parking spot while I was off getting the moving truck. She complained that there was no where else to park and we had "two spots" (it was a sing double wide spot because the previous tenant had a wheelchair van). I told her that wasn't my problem and that she needed to move because it was still my spot for the next week, and I was going to park the full-sized moving truck there in less than 5 minutes, whether her car was still there or not.

She then asked if we were going to move that "Jeep" soon. I looked around the parking lot, failed to find any Chrysler products, let alone a Jeep, and being genuinely confused asked her "What Jeep?" She pointed at my wife's Escape. Then being genuinely offended that someone would insinuate that I would own a MOPAR I told her that it was not a Jeep.

She again asked "Well are you going to move that "Jeep?" So I told her again, pointedly "It's not a Jeep!" She got all huffy and walked off telling me that I "didn't have to be smart about it". I promptly responded "Well you don't have to be dumb about it!"

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
I had an ad on the list looking for an old IDI Ford.

Get an email from a guy who is looking to sell. Call him the next day and talk. He said he has work and school and to send him a text later that week. I do that. No reply. Goes on for 2 days. He had work get busy and school and stuff so he tells me to call him saturday. I call him and no answer... Call another time. Several texts and calls later, I finally double call him. Get a text stating he is watching his sisters kids at the hospital, the truck is not for sale and he said he'd call me.

TL;DR:
Guy offers to sell a truck but lies because he didn't want to sell his truck.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I just sold a Nissan 240sx on CL. Had in my ad that I was selling the car because I need a small 4x4. Idiots asking If I want to trade for crotchrockets and other small popcan cars.
Reposted the ad with NO TRADES...all went well.
The kids who contacted me and bought the car are from near Chicago...I am near Wichita Ks.
Needless to say I sent him a ton of pictures and info on the car for a few days.
I knew they were serious about getting a 240 since they were searching for cars in other states and going to drive 12+ hours for a solid car.
I was A nice guy and held the car for him for 3 weeks so he could come get it.
I turned down others offers to sell it ( cash in hand) since I made a deal with him first.
( verbal handshake over the phone...)
He was looking in other states because I guess all the cars near him are all rusted in half do to salted roads.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The only good thing I got from Craigslist was I traded 2 empty .50 cal ammo cans for a Ryobi (Troy Bilt) straight shaft quick-link weed trimmer that supposedly the guy couldn't get running. My only loss was about $10 in gas driving over to get this weed eater that wouldn't start. I fixed it for around $5 worth of fuel lines. Just needed new fuel lines and it works great. Came with the straight shaft trimmer, the tiller attachment, blower attachment, and a hedge trimmer attachment (sold that thing, I don't have hedges LOL).
I was planning on fixing it and reselling it, but after I got it and realized it had all of the attachments, I feel I did pretty damn good for trading 2 ammo cans I had no use for anymore. So that trimmer has become my personal yard maintenance tool.

The stuff I sell don't sell at all on Craigslist, so I started using Ebay, its been going great so far on Ebay. Problem is some of the stuff I have will have to go to local pawn shops to sell because you can't sell certain gun stuff on Ebay, or Craigslist.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bought both of my Bronco II's of CL.

Last one I actually put a WANTED add up, and it worked.
Could not find a ranger or b2 for the right price, and after a week or two I tossed up a wanted add just for shits and giggles, and someone responded the next day trying to sell his B2.

It was only $500 (he was only asking 600 in the email) and the frame and body are in amazing shape. Makes the first one I bought (also $500) look like a pile of junk (which to be fair, is exactly what it became eventually...)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I think a lot of it depends on where you live. Where I live the majority of the people around are the type that want everything for next to nothing, they want stuff given to them because they are lazy, don't have jobs, etc. Also, the closest larger town to me is about 30 miles away, so any of the good stuff isn't worth the drive to find out if its still there or not. I did get an old riding mower and an old industrial cook stove last year for scrap metal from an ad on craigslist, but that was the only response I received, everyone expects you to pay to come pick up their crap and haul it away.

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess i'm the oddity in the CL world. I don't sell much on there mostly buy. However so far i have never had one bit of trouble. Well maybe on finding where i was supposed to meet up with someone if it was in an area i wasn't familiar with. So far though i have always had decent luck. That's where i got my Ranger. In all her $450 glory firing on only 2 or 3 cylinders fully out of 6. Took some work to get her right but she runs good for the most part now. So guess i'm just lucky seeing as i have bought tires for my parents cars, rims for my ranger, my bed tool box for my ranger, my cap for the bed, and my trailer all on there and all for less then $100 each except the truck. Now i suppose this will be like the snowblower or snow plow curse. I talk of all the good deals i have found and it will bite me in the hind end. Just like if you spend money on a new shiny snow plow it wont snow for 5 years. :icon_rofl:

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A new word that I just learned: Graiglist-

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well now I have to eat some crow...I've had two old antique outboards that I cosmetically restored listed on CL N. Miss. for about 5 days now. A guy called me third day and asked about 'em...didn't call back until today, and he dropped by and bought with cash. Nice guy too. So you do occasionally find the right deal (buyer/seller) on CL I guess. At least you don't have to use a pay service attached to a big credit company to use the site...like another formerly-good site I won't name.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
tmcalavy. You must be referring to ebay LOL. Regardless you don't have to use paypal, you can have the buyer pay with any form of payment, but paypal protects both the buyer and seller so i use paypal, but as soon as the funds are available I instantly transfer the funds to my bank. I have a paypal prepaid debit card, that has become a really nice asset you do a transfer to the prepaid card and your funds are available instantly, transfer to a bank account and it takes 3-5 days.

I agree though I really don't like the setup of the auction sites that much, and I wish craigslist was more consistent and better monitored for scams. I'd rather do business in person when I'm able to. Unfortunately craigslist so often has people on there just calling around trying to get stuff for nothing, well if I was trying to get rid of stuff for nothing I would just throw it in the trash and not waste my time taking pictures and posting an ad.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
there are also some sellers on craigslist that are complete ripoffs.... I have seen $100 dept store bikes asking $250.... also saw a $150 genesis V2100 that a guy peeled all the stickers off and put trek stickers on it and was asking $400( I knew what it was because I got one to get some exersize)....lol... the only simularities between the 2 bikes is the rear suspension design....... buyer beware for sure

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Definitely, if you shop on these sites you need to know what you are looking at for sure. People will try and scam others that don't have a clue. I've seen ads for equipment for outrageous prices that don't run, don't have engines, etc. I just ignore those ads, its not worth the time, effort, and money trying to deal with stuff like that.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have my Ranger listed on craigslist. Lots of interest, but I need to get a title reissued for the truck.

I got a call earlier today from a potential buyer...

Caller: I'm calling about your ranger on craiglist
Me: Yes I still have it
Caller: What motor does it have in it?
Me: 4.0 v6
Caller: So its not the 4.3?
Me:.............no, 4.0 v6
Caller: So it just has the 4.0
Me: Yeah, thats the largest motor ever offered in the Ranger
Caller: My buddy has a ranger with the 4.3
Me: He must have pulled that motor from something else
Caller: No, it came that way from the factory.:icon_confused:
Me: Ok....:icon_rofl:
He said this with absolute certainty...I feel I am 99.999999999999999 percent sure he is ignorant? Unless he is talking about the late 70s Ranger that came before this model that was actually a full size truck and Ive only seen them with a 300 straight 6. This had me smiling and chuckling for at least an hour. I didnt want to argue with the guy being that I was working and didnt have the time to argue with an idiot.:icon_rofl:

There's a stroker kit for the 4.0 that upgrades it to a 4.3l.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
There's a stroker kit for the 4.0 that upgrades it to a 4.3l.
Clearly that guy has no idea what a stroker is though.

Sent from the can

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals